Landing: problem with Power Levers and the IDLE "wall"

Prosco

Hello,

I went through the doc and the forum (maybe not completely) and I understood that when I am in the landing final I have to put the controller of my TWCS Trottle (Thrumaster 16000M) precisely on IDLE or a little before so that when during touchdown I can bring Right & Left Power Lever to GND IDLE and REVERSE but I can't because I'm looking at the runway threshold, variometer, speed, etc.

The problem I am having is that on my controller I can't put a locking notch to simulate the position of the IDLE "wall". So, for each landing, I unfortunately have to use the "Saab TQ status" window to:

1 / be on IDLE or a little earlier
2 / wait for the red bar to disappear (Touch down).

I noticed that the keyboard shortcut "les / sf34a / acft / engn / mnp / Right & Left Power Lever Flight Idle Latch" erased the red bar in the Saab TQ status window but that does not allow me to cross the "wall" IDLE, so what is this keyboard shortcut for?

Finally, is there a solution to synchronize the TWCS controller with the IDLE "wall" ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Prosco

We have "automated" the process of the flight idle latches.  Instead of requiring you to use the command to lift the latches after touchdown, we automatically do that for you. 

The issue of being out of sync with the manipulators would exist whether or not we automated the latches or not because you would still need to wait for "all wheels on ground" before you would be able to lift the latches manually (with a command) and then move your levers into beta/reverse.  

The reason we "require" you to make sure your hardware is in sync with the manipulators is to prevent "snapping" of the power levers, which could result in sudden and unwanted throttle changes. 

We have plans to possibly provide audio feedback when you are at flight idle, but this will not happen until v2.0.

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, JGregory said:

We have "automated" the process of the flight idle latches.  Instead of requiring you to use the command to lift the latches after touchdown, we automatically do that for you.

The automatic lift the latches is random (for me).

I just did a landing flight at LFMN. we had to wait 5 seconds after the touch down to have the automatic lift the latches.

I recorded the replay, there is no sound and controls but we can clearly see the red bar which disappears long after the touch down.

Video : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOlEMjtczP66VfbY6XQ26eXyJbpe0DVi/view?usp=sharing

What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, JGregory said:

Not sure what is happening there.  We will be re-writing the logic for this but it won't be available until v1.6.4.

I hope this will be on the top of your priority...as this ruins part of the immersion. You must be able to use reverse thrust immediately after the touch-down as in real iife.

24 minutes ago, Markkku said:

I hope this will be on the top of your priority...as this ruins part of the immersion. You must be able to use reverse thrust immediately after the touch-down as in real iife.

Not on really long runways, just land and hit reverse when you get close to required taxiway, saves fuel. maybe on really short fields where there is no option.

4 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Not on really long runways...

I think the length of the trail is not the problem.

"Take-off is optional, landing compulsory": the Beta / Reverse mode should be able to be engaged by the pilot from the touch down:

at 02:33

at 06:10

at 03:20

20 minutes ago, Prosco said:

I think the length of the trail is not the problem.

"Take-off is optional, landing compulsory": the Beta / Reverse mode should be able to be engaged by the pilot from the touch down:

at 02:33

at 06:10

at 03:20

Yes i have watched heaps of videos, it will be fixed, I have also seeing some that dont use reverse, especially when needing to clear runways quickly. Its pedantic but works just have to watch the pop up. Hanst ruined the plane.

Holy cow, guys. This is brutal! I bought the Saab two nights ago and every time I land both my throttle and prop handles get completely broken. My prop condition handles get stuck, my throttle gets stuck and completely unresponsive. I'm trying to go into reverse and my throttles will lock full forward. The plane is just completely unfunctional because of this. What a horrible experience :( This has got to go to the top of your list of bugs.

12 minutes ago, joncoughlin said:

Holy cow, guys. This is brutal! I bought the Saab two nights ago and every time I land both my throttle and prop handles get completely broken. My prop condition handles get stuck, my throttle gets stuck and completely unresponsive. I'm trying to go into reverse and my throttles will lock full forward. 

We do not have ANY reports of problems with the condition levers upon landing.  The Power Levers are restricted from going below flight idle until all wheels are on the ground.  If you are using hardware it is necessary that your hardware levers are in sync with the cockpit manipulators and will not function until they are in sync.   You can observe this using the TQ viewer.

16 minutes ago, joncoughlin said:

The plane is just completely unfunctional because of this. What a horrible experience :( This has got to go to the top of your list of bugs.

A little hyperbolic, don't you think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JGregory said:

We do not have ANY reports of problems with the condition levers upon landing.  The Power Levers are restricted from going below flight idle until all wheels are on the ground.  If you are using hardware it is necessary that your hardware levers are in sync with the cockpit manipulators and will not function until they are in sync.   You can observe this using the TQ viewer.

A little hyperbolic, don't you think?

I was manipulating the prop levers all flight with a hardware axis. I had just moved them to full forward on approach. I moved them backwards when I had stopped with hardware. Took my throttle out of reverse and the prop levers jumped to full forward again and the throttle became unresponsive - also locked in full forward position. Both of them were then unresponsive to hardware inputs. I waggled my hardware axes forwards and backwards and neither would catch. Airplane drove full throttle off the end of the runway and into the lake. I don't know what else to tell you. You should be able to look at the code that drives these systems and hopefully use that to reproduce the bugs.

Separately, why on earth are you insulting your customers? I just bought your module for $50, and while coming to this forum to report a bug I saw you insulting people, which informed my tone in submitting my own report. I write reviews of modules and I'm a flight sim developer myself, so I am pretty willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I won't be buying any more of your products now, and if I do review this plane I'll make sure to note the way you berate customers. 

On my opinion that the module is not functional: I can't land the airplane using the same hardware I use for every other aircraft I fly in the game. As a reviewer, a plane with a throttle quadrant this unconventional to control is functionally broken as a product, especially when it has existed for years and is advertised as mature.

If your response to customers was "we are sorry our custom implementation of the throttle quadrant is upsetting player experiences and we'll look at what we can do to improve that" then you wouldn't see people getting upset. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, joncoughlin said:

Took my throttle out of reverse and the prop levers jumped to full forward again and the throttle became unresponsive - also locked in full forward position.

Moving the Power Lever(s) has absolutely NO effect on the Condition Lever(s).  If that is happening it is something related to you setup.

I waggled my hardware axes forwards and backwards and neither would catch.

Is that (waggle) a technical term?  Please try to be a little more precise as to what you actually did.  You didn't even bother to mention whether or not you used the TQ viewer to see if your hardware was synced.  Or how about attaching some screenshots or video?

I don't know what else to tell you. You should be able to look at the code that drives these systems and hopefully use that to reproduce the bugs.

I can't look at the code based on anecdotal musings.  We do not have even ONE other customer reporting the same problems your are experiencing.  Based on that and years of experience I would suggest that this problem is somewhere on your end.

Separately, why on earth are you insulting your customers?

You must have me confused with someone else.

and while coming to this forum to report a bug I saw you insulting people,

Specific references please.  Also, if you really read through the forums then you would know that we always require a log.txt file when you report problems but for some reason you didn't attach one.

I can't land the airplane using the same hardware I use for every other aircraft I fly in the game.

All of our other customers seem to be doing just fine.  Again, no one has reported any of the specific issues you are supposedly experiencing.  

If your response to customers was "we are sorry our custom implementation of the throttle quadrant is upsetting player experiences and we'll look at what we can do to improve that" then you wouldn't see people getting upset. 

Why would I do that when you are the ONLY person reporting this issue and your first forum post here include this...

"The plane is just completely unfunctional because of this. What a horrible experience :(".  

Do you really believe that kind of behavior deserves an apology, seriously?

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, joncoughlin said:

You're still doing it.

More generalities.  If you want to start over you can start a new thread.  However, if you do that, I suggest you take a different approach. Or, better yet, send me a PM.

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 1