engines cut off on take off?

sigor

Hi, there ... nice airplane. For some reason my engines are cutting off on initial climb out within a minute or two after take off. I am following checklist that came with the airplane. Am I missing something stupid? (the fuel pumps are still running when engines flame out). 

Thanks a bunch!

igor

I have experienced exactly the same problem with both engines failing shortly after take off.  I will also try limiting the power, keeping an eye on the gauges.  Did this cure the problem for you Igor?

Also however, despite setting the pitch trim to zero before take off, the aircraft rotates and lifts off prematurely, without any stick input and I need massive amounts of pitch trim down (forward stick) to control this pitching up of the nose.  It is as if the CG is much to far aft, yet it it is fine, according to the balance sheet.  I am flying solo, with main tanks 3/4 full.

Edited by juxy
correction

7 minutes ago, juxy said:

I have experienced exactly the same problem with both engines failing shortly after take off.  I will also try limiting the power, keeping an eye on the gauges.  Did this cure the problem for you Igor?

Also however, despite setting the pitch trim to zero before take off, the aircraft rotates and lifts off prematurely, without any stick input and I need massive amounts of pitch trim down (forward stick) to control this pitching up of the nose.  It is as if the CG is much to far aft, yet it it is fine, according to the balance sheet.  I am flying solo, with main tanks 3/4 full.

The nose-up effect of the aircraft is much more pronounced at lower weights. I'd recommend putting a bit more weight up front in the aircraft and that behavior should subside. 

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

The nose-up effect of the aircraft is much more pronounced at lower weights. I'd recommend putting a bit more weight up front in the aircraft and that behavior should subside. 

Coop - I now read that many others are experiencing this problem, making the aircraft virtually un-flyable.

This needs to go to the top of your 'to-do' list please.

I just saw this, Cameron, and you know the subject of trim has been kind of done to death elsewhere.   It is a bit frustrating to have this problem, when the "pilot" has verified that the C of G is well within the envelope, but that does not necessarily mean the the plane can be flown with neutral trim.

However, there is another aspect to this.  It's the entertainment value of the plane in the sim.  At the end of the day, the number of customers who either have flown or aspire to fly a turbine Islander, in the real world, will be vanishingly small!

So, if Coop tweaks things to make it a bit easier to fly, even though it may be marginally less true to life (and I  have to assume that Coop has had input from RW Turbine Islander pilots, when he was adjusting these parameters), does it matter much?  I would venture that it doesn't.  99.9999% of the customers who buy this plane will be happy if it trims a bit more neutrally.  OK, let it need more down trim when lightly loaded, but it's obviously upsetting quite a few customers.

I remember, many years ago, flying in a Seneca, where we had to put a sandbag in the back to make it usable!  So, sticking some extra weight here and there is a viable solution :D

Coop's latest tweak certainly improved things a lot, but this "problem" is obviously still catching the punters out!

Enjoy your day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am glad this thread exists in here, as I have had both these problems too. I suppose I am also in the 99%+ of punters who would really like it if this plane had a bit more of a neutral CG. Oh, and I will have to learn to rev up more gently at takeoff, as I have also had the problem with the engines cutting out. Flying the turbine Islander has been a bit frustrating so far, especially compared with the piston version, which I have found very pleasant to fly.