Machine ID concerns...

tinroof

This question pertains to members of a VATSIM group with whom I undertake regular online flying. I am unable to purchase any X-Aviation aircraft myself due to the lack of Linux support. Note, this is inconsistent to the X-plane multi-platform philosophy and is very disappointing. However the issue at hand concerns the means by which products at X-Aviation implements  its DRM. Reading some entries in this forum sometime ago suggested security appears to make use of a Machine ID.

If this is right, then is it correct to say that those X-Plane users that have their installations on portable SSDs so they can take them away for use on their laptops will fail licensing checks rendering any aircraft purchased here unusable when attempting to load them on a second machine? A number of my friends have expressed an interest in the SR22, DC3 and others. I have advised them to hold off until I clarified the situation in this regard.

Any advice would be appreciated. I also apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere in these forums and feel free to redirect me as appropriate.

Rusty.

31 minutes ago, tinroof said:

If this is right, then is it correct to say that those X-Plane users that have their installations on portable SSDs so they can take them away for use on their laptops will fail licensing checks rendering any aircraft purchased here unusable when attempting to load them on a second machine?

No, that is not correct.