New Crash KDCA KDTW

777-300

This log doesn't actually say that SkyMaxx Pro caused the crash, but it was the last thing to write a log entry before it did.

It's possible you ran out of memory. Or, there is a hard-to-reproduce bug we're trying to figure out associated with cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) clouds. If you were flying into stormy weather it might have to do with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sundog said:

This log doesn't actually say that SkyMaxx Pro caused the crash, but it was the last thing to write a log entry before it did.

It's possible you ran out of memory. Or, there is a hard-to-reproduce bug we're trying to figure out associated with cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) clouds. If you were flying into stormy weather it might have to do with that.

Actually I had exited the stormy weather and it was pretty clear. The log txt. I sent was actually my third try on that same route. I will do some flying today and keep you posted,.I appreciate all your hard work.

17 hours ago, 777-300 said:

Actually I had exited the stormy weather and it was pretty clear. The log txt. I sent was actually my third try on that same route. I will do some flying today and keep you posted,.I appreciate all your hard work.

Hmm... it's possible that the issue is related to storm clouds being removed from the scene - that would also explain some of the odd rendering artifacts being reported in stormy conditions. We're looking into it - thanks for the info.

Hi Frank,

Hopefully this information helps you. I was trying to fly from CYYGKLGA.  Then I switched flight plans altogether and went from KSLCKMSP. Out in the middle of Wyoming when this crash happened. I am pretty sure I had 3 or 4 GB of RAM available at the time.

Andy

Log TX #2 CYYGKLGA.pdf Log TXT #3 CYYGKLA.pdf Log TXT CYYGKLGA.pdf

Log TXT #4 KSLCMSP.pdf

Edited by 777-300
Additional information.

On a Mac, it's usually not RAM that is the issue but video memory. I don't see any indication of you flying through storms in the log, so I think you're just exhausting video memory. That's very common on Macs as they typically don't have much of it. And when X-Plane crashes due to running out of video memory, it typically does so in this fashion where it just stops without writing any diagnostic information into the log first.

If you're flying through custom scenery, that's likely consuming quite a bit of it. Disabling HDR can also help. Or, you can lower SkyMaxx Pro's cloud draw area setting. The new volumetric clouds in SkyMaxx Pro 5 also use more video memory than the non-volumetric options do.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:24 AM, sundog said:

On a Mac, it's usually not RAM that is the issue but video memory. I don't see any indication of you flying through storms in the log, so I think you're just exhausting video memory. That's very common on Macs as they typically don't have much of it. And when X-Plane crashes due to running out of video memory, it typically does so in this fashion where it just stops without writing any diagnostic information into the log first.

If you're flying through custom scenery, that's likely consuming quite a bit of it. Disabling HDR can also help. Or, you can lower SkyMaxx Pro's cloud draw area setting. The new volumetric clouds in SkyMaxx Pro 5 also use more video memory than the non-volumetric options do.

Hi Frank,

I have reduced everything (HDR, antialiasing, cloud draw distance) and I am still getting poor frame rates and crashes. The strange thing its I show 8-11 GB of Video memory available. I also tried shutting down Safari and even with 8 or 9GB of RAM available I still had the same issue. I also have tried  by removing all the custom scenery.  A couple of years ago when I posed a question someone said that the amount of available VRAM and RAM  available shown on the SkyMaxx screen may not be accurate on the MAC. I love SkyMaxx too much to give up! 

Andy

Log.txt

Edited by 777-300

4 hours ago, Cameron said:

As I remember, you're on AMD, which doesn't accurately report this.

I sure am.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

It's kind of crazy that I spent 4300.00 on this iMac and it has trouble keeping up with SkyMaxx and X-Plane. Hopefully as new betas of SkyMaxx come out it will help people like me who don't want to do the PC thing. Apple has great customer service and the other guys don't. I appreciate all the help that you and Frank have given me over the last few years.

Edited by 777-300
typo