30+ FPS just for SkyMaxx?

Psionmark

Firstly, I'd like to say this makes X-Plane weather look gorgeous :)

In 2D, all is fine (but I had to select Fast textures for the Cumulus textures to get good performance).

However, I was flying in VR yesterday. It all started okay, but then the weather took a turn for the worse, and the FPS with it. I then checked the X-Plane Plugins section and saw that SkyMaxx on it's own was consuming over 30FPS! How can that be?

I disabled SkyMaxx and all was okay, but this renders it somewhat tricky to use in VR.

I'm happy with the 2D performance - taking a 30FPS hit is doable when I've initially got 70+, but a show-stopper when I've only got 45 or so when in VR.

Any ideas? I've selected the highest performing textures there seem to be.

Regards,

Mark

Keep in mind SkyMaxx disables X-Plane's built in clouds, so you have to subtract the time it took for X-Plane to draw clouds from what it being reported for SkyMaxx Pro for a fair comparison.

That said 30 FPS seems high, especially if you're not using volumetric clouds in VR. Turning down the cloud draw area setting is probably the best thing you can  do to boost performance for now. We *do* have a rather substantial performance improvement for the non-volumetric clouds in the works, though. It's about 20% faster in our tests so far.

18 hours ago, sundog said:

Keep in mind SkyMaxx disables X-Plane's built in clouds, so you have to subtract the time it took for X-Plane to draw clouds from what it being reported for SkyMaxx Pro for a fair comparison.

That said 30 FPS seems high, especially if you're not using volumetric clouds in VR. Turning down the cloud draw area setting is probably the best thing you can  do to boost performance for now. We *do* have a rather substantial performance improvement for the non-volumetric clouds in the works, though. It's about 20% faster in our tests so far.

I'll change the draw area and give that a try.

For reference, after disabling SkyMaxx Pro, I enabled real-time weather in X-Plane and the comparison FPS was after that had settled down. I appreciate it's drawing something different, though.

Good to hear re the update - looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:38 PM, Psionmark said:

However, I was flying in VR yesterday. It all started okay, but then the weather took a turn for the worse, and the FPS with it. I then checked the X-Plane Plugins section and saw that SkyMaxx on it's own was consuming over 30FPS! How can that be?

I disabled SkyMaxx and all was okay, but this renders it somewhat tricky to use in VR.

Curiously, has this gotten any better since the 5.1 update?