SMP v5.0.6, black rectangles when switching clouds, sometimes CTD

stolowski

I'm experiencing a weird glitch whenever I switch between volumetric and old-style clouds in the cumulus settings menu: most clouds appear as black rectangles. I can reproduce it every time after reastarting XP and changing this cloud setting. The same issue was recored by Q8Pilot in his SMPv5 review here:  

https://youtu.be/coCjJadP774?t=1706 (at 28:25 and 32:34).

X-Plane would also occasionally crash when turning volumetric on/off (followed by Apply), I think that CTD issue has a separate forum thread already.

Attaching a screenshot as well as my XP graphics settings. I've 32GB RAM and NVidia GTX 1080 with 8GB VRAM (I thought I had Vulkan ON, but it appears it is with OpenGL, it didn't register switching to Vulkan due to a later crash when changing volumetric on/off).

Attached Log.txt is from a session where black rectangles were visible after turning volumetric cumulus clouds off (no CTD this time).

SR20 - 2021-01-31 14.20.28.png

SR20 - 2021-01-31 14.19.01.png

SR20 - 2021-01-31 12.10.08.png

Log.txt

19 hours ago, stolowski said:

I'd just like to emphasize that this was reproducible only when switching cloud types and hitting "Apply", and in OpenGL. I don't know if Vulkan was affected.

That's potentially useful... we're still looking into it, but if true that narrows it down considerably.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, and it also seems to happen above custom airport scenery. I put in a support issue when v5 first came out, and it is still happening to me. This time, it has happened over KSLC and KLAS, and originally it was KLAX. Everyone of those are payware.....Do not know if that helps as well.

If you look at my first posts, you will see my screen shots.

• 4 months later...