FPS drop on descent until draw distance changed

dlrk

My guess is that memory was getting tight... when you change that setting, it causes all of the clouds to get deleted and recreated, which might alleviate memory fragmentation issues that may have been building up. You might have to pull back a bit on your cloud draw area setting.

17 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Never mind, occurred on final. It doesn't look it's memory, unless it's VRAM getting filled. But I have 8gb

VRAM would be the issue here, if it is memory related. 8GB fills up fast, especially at high resolutions and/or with custom scenery installed.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:41 PM, dlrk said:

I'll check for that next time, thank you. Sounds like it's thrashing memory when it gets full. If this is the issue, is it possible to lower SMP cloud res?

The volumetric clouds will consume less memory if you lower SMP's cloud draw area setting. Or, you can select something other than volumetric for the cumulus and/or overcast representation; the non-volumetric clouds use less memory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dlrk said:

So, upon experimenting with this for a bit and checking VRAM usage with GPU-Z, this is not caused by memory filling up. There appears to be no correlation between VRAM usage and FPS. FPS is limited by CPU frame time when this occurs

Not vram issues just pushes GPU really hard

Edited by mjrhealth

Hi Dirk, I realised something last night. I'm running a UHD monitor and have XP on the UHD resolution. When I brought it back down to 1920x1080 the hit was much smaller. Given we don't want to go on lower settings - that's why we pay the money for the rigs, right, I'm going to test today/tomorrow on the HD settings as opposed to the UHD and see if that makes a difference.

I was running at 3840 × 2160. Might try 2560x1440 but if you struggled with that, I'm sure i will too.

Testing it now and if anything it is still the same if not worse. Very sorry now that I spend the money on Skymaxx pro instead of Xenviro...Will make sure I advise accordingly

Unless somebody from skymaxx care to assist here of course, i.e. with advice etc., but it's been really difficult getting assistance...