SkyMaxx Pro v5.0.5 Update Released!

Cameron

Just now, RobH said:

I can also confirm that when I installed the latest version I also had 0 byte files the same as maksimus1650, all the sun_glow files showed as 0 bytes but unlike maksimus I had no warnings from xplane.

OK, sounds like these files crept in somewhere between me handing off the 5.0.5 package and the installer being built for it. Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, RobH said:

4K but this wasn't an issue with 5.0.4, there was a small dip flying through the clouds sure. If you watch the video I posted that is on the ground so flying through anything isn't happening at that point.

Huh. We literally added a single operation to the fragment shader for volumetric clouds in 5.0.5 in order to implement soft cloud/terrain blending. It didn't hurt performance on my own system but somehow it pushed yours over the edge, even though you have a much better GPU than I do.

I'll have to discuss with @Cameronif we should revert that change. Might not be worth it. The intent was to get nicer cloud/terrain blending so we could remove the 500 meter lower limit on volumetric cloud layers to avoid terrain intersections. 

9 minutes ago, RobH said:

I reset what changes I had made in nVidia control panel that were x-plane specific to their defaults, sadly nothing changed. I don't know what else to try now, as it's just me I'll wait for another update and see how things go with that.

It's possible it's not just you. I've asked X-Aviation if they are getting other reports via trouble tickets about 5.05 degrading in performance relative to 5.04. If so we will strongly consider reverting that shader change. Thanks for the report.

2 hours ago, maksimus1650 said:

I will try reinstalling version 5.0.5 again now. I'll write about the results. You saw that 5.0.4 is working properly now. Pure experiment)

My apologies. This was a packaging error on my end. I'm shocked you're the first person to report this!

I have updated the installer, so please be sure to re-download and install.

5 minutes ago, Lighttrail said:

I am also experiencing major performance degradation on Windows. I went from average 45fps in ver 4 to 10-20 fps with 5.05. I did not download 5.04 so that I could compare or roll back to that version. I even disabled XP Realistic just to make sure it was not causing the problem.

Thanks for the report. What is your video card and monitor resolution?

We're figuring out where to go from here, but would like to get that information from you at least. :)

32 minutes ago, oldflyguy said:

Same result here team.  FPS drop and huge increase in VRAM usage with 5.0.5.  Render time tripled (or more).  

Thank you for confirming that as well. Were you able to try 5.0.4 yesterday? Are these issues new since then, or were you on 5.0.1 prior to that?

We definitely need to do something here, but right now gathering some data points to see which changes we've done may have been most impactful and go from there.

Hi All;

Thought I'd chirp in on the discussion. I am running an Nvida RTX2080 with 8GB VRAM and an i7-9700 with 32GB RAM. I had some trouble installing 5.0.5 and in the process manually removed all traces of SMP and then had to remove RWC as well. Also ran the XP installer to make sure everything was OK before my last install which was successful. Installed SMP 5.0.5 and then RWC. Loaded the sim with default scenery, MAXX FX, Soundmaxx, SMP, RWC, and ASXP plug-in. Loaded ASXP, injected the weather, and with default scenery my fps went from 70+ to 30 - 40fps.  Turned off RWC and the clouds thinned out and frame rates went up some.  I had cloud draw distance set for almost 13,000 and I did have god rays and shadows turned on.  Rays were at about 30% and shadows at 50%.  I was getting this fps with UHD mesh and a couple of other plug ins loaded with 5.0.4.

I also tried setting manual weather with scattered cumulus, broken cumulus, and overcast cumulus.  With only the three layers of clouds, fps was about 50.

Hope you can figure this all out.  It looks great but, unfortunately, is not very usable like this since I know where the fps will go once I put everything back.

Cheers and Blue Skies

4 hours ago, Cameron said:

I have updated the installer, so please be sure to re-download and install.

Good day, Cameron
Thank you, I redownloaded and reinstalled the SMP again. There are no more problems with starting the simulator

P.S. For me, it is also surprising that no one else has described this error.

Best regards, Maxim

Edited by maksimus1650

10 hours ago, manidep271 said:

Hi All;

Thought I'd chirp in on the discussion. I am running an Nvida RTX2080 with 8GB VRAM and an i7-9700 with 32GB RAM. I had some trouble installing 5.0.5 and in the process manually removed all traces of SMP and then had to remove RWC as well. Also ran the XP installer to make sure everything was OK before my last install which was successful. Installed SMP 5.0.5 and then RWC. Loaded the sim with default scenery, MAXX FX, Soundmaxx, SMP, RWC, and ASXP plug-in. Loaded ASXP, injected the weather, and with default scenery my fps went from 70+ to 30 - 40fps.  Turned off RWC and the clouds thinned out and frame rates went up some.  I had cloud draw distance set for almost 13,000 and I did have god rays and shadows turned on.  Rays were at about 30% and shadows at 50%.  I was getting this fps with UHD mesh and a couple of other plug ins loaded with 5.0.4.

I also tried setting manual weather with scattered cumulus, broken cumulus, and overcast cumulus.  With only the three layers of clouds, fps was about 50.

Hope you can figure this all out.  It looks great but, unfortunately, is not very usable like this since I know where the fps will go once I put everything back.

Cheers and Blue Skies

What resolution and AA setting are you running at? So far it seems a common theme in people with performance issues is that they are running at 4K resolution and/or high anti-aliasing settings.

Volumetric clouds are rendered per-pixel-fragment, so their performance is very sensitive to these settings. For example on my system I can quadruple performance by just switching AA from 8X to FXAA.

Edited by sundog

15 hours ago, sundog said:

What resolution and AA setting are you running at? So far it seems a common theme in people with performance issues is that they are running at 4K resolution and/or high anti-aliasing settings.

Volumetric clouds are rendered per-pixel-fragment, so their performance is very sensitive to these settings. For example on my system I can quadruple performance by just switching AA from 8X to FXAA.

Hi; Sorry for the delayed response; I didn't get a notice that you replied to this and I wasn't expecting one so hadn't been on to check.  Answer to the question is 2560 x 1440 with no AA since I use HDR and AA doesn't do anything with HDR.

Cheers!

Hi all just to add my "tests"

Bought and installed all the v5 versions,  clouds are very blurry, fps are not very good. Removed v5 and put v4 ,tested with the same plane / place / graphic options of course, cliuds looks really more detailled a more fps , in the same situation i  reach the 60fps (vsync ) on my computer with v4 for a 49 fps max with v5.

I tried to change some options, even with defaults values for clouds distance in v5  (4900) versus 10000 for v4 , v4 still having  more fps and looks better

Edited by stefbid

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic