Skymaxx pro v5.0.1 CTD

Jsid87

1 hour ago, Jsid87 said:

Sorry for the lack of the information. I attached log file and screenshot. I have to add that I did fresh install of XP11 and ctd still happens. When I removed skymaxx v5 and installed v4 it doesn't crash and fps are better.

Thanks in advance for the help

Screenshot.png

Log.txt 108.75 kB · 2 downloads

Try temporarily removing your custom scenery; even on your GPU the memory it consumes in addition to SkyMaxx Pro's volumetric clouds may be enough to make you run out of memory and crash. If you can get it up and running to the point where you can access the SkyMaxx Pro configuration screen, you can try reducing the cloud draw area or setting cumulus and overcast back to non-volumetric options to reduce its memory usage. Flying with a default aircraft might also help, or lowering your resolution and/or AA settings.

Edited by sundog

4 hours ago, Jsid87 said:

Sorry for the lack of the information. I attached log file and screenshot. I have to add that I did fresh install of XP11 and ctd still happens. When I removed skymaxx v5 and installed v4 it doesn't crash and fps are better.

Thanks in advance for the help

Screenshot.png

Log.txt 108.75 kB · 4 downloads

Try lowering your Texture Quality slider from Maximum to High as there is no significant visual difference between the two. Also, Anisotropic filtering at 8x is usless unless you have a high resolution monitor (4k). try setting that slider to 4x. It's plenty enough. On the CPU side of the sliders, Reflection Detail does nothing until you set the slider to Medium and up and even then the effect is not great (IMO) so better leave that slider to Minimum. Next, the Draw Shadows on Scenery slider is a huge resource hog for no good payback. Better leave that unchecked. Finally, consider lowering your Latteral Field of View slider to 70 degrees. Again, no big difference from what you have now but with some resource gains. Other X Plane areas you may want to check are: 1) make sure your shaders are the default ones. Sometimes, previous post processing scripts (xVision, custom lua scripts etc.) leave their traces on the shaders. You will have to run the x plane updater after you delete the resources/shaders folder unless you have a back up for those shaders. I also delete the output/shadercache/vulkan folder every now and then and let x plane re-built it upon start up. Once all these are done, then you can play arround with the Skymaxx settings (draw distance, god rays, etc.) to fit your system's capabilities. Good luck.

I did a test flight. I flew the same flight as before when it crashed and this time it didn't crash. In XP11 I left the same settings as are in the screenshot above and I left all the custom scenery. Only thing I changed were volumetric clouds to non-volumetric and fps were ok and no ctd.
@DS1971 do you think if I setup my XP settings as you suggested that I would be able to run volumetric clouds?

Thanks for all the help!

Quick comment on my experience with the SMP5.01.  I am using a NVIDIA 2070 16GB video memory, TS S22T, higher end mesh and get very low FPS with volumetric clouds even with most other options turned down per general recommendations.  When showing a view that does not include the sky my FPS go well above  30 but then drop to 10-15 FPS with volumetric clouds in view.   I changed clouds to a non-volumetric options and FPS went back to 30+.  I can see this is still in Beta and will check back as things get sorted out.  Do enjoy the cloud realism for SMP v4 and v5.  I am sure this will get ironed out.  Bill

15 hours ago, WRS2 said:

Quick comment on my experience with the SMP5.01.  I am using a NVIDIA 2070 16GB video memory, TS S22T, higher end mesh and get very low FPS with volumetric clouds even with most other options turned down per general recommendations.  When showing a view that does not include the sky my FPS go well above  30 but then drop to 10-15 FPS with volumetric clouds in view.   I changed clouds to a non-volumetric options and FPS went back to 30+.  I can see this is still in Beta and will check back as things get sorted out.  Do enjoy the cloud realism for SMP v4 and v5.  I am sure this will get ironed out.  Bill

Hi,

Same experience with a NVIDIA 3090 RTX and Skymaxx Pro 5.0.5. Strong decrease of FPS with volumetric clouds (under 20 FPS in certain situation). It a beta option so I hope that you can find a solution to solve or limit this loss of FPS. Thanks again for the work :)

Edited by FlyingSquale

9 minutes ago, FlyingSquale said:

Hi,

Same experience with a NVIDIA 3090 RTX and Skymaxx Pro 5.0.5. Strong decrease of FPS with volumetric clouds (under 20 FPS in certain situation). It a beta option so I hope that you can find a solution to solve or limit this loss of FPS. Thanks again for the work :)

Try reducing your anti-aliasing and/or resolution settings. Certain anti-aliasing modes do not play well with volumetric rendering, and this is usually the cause of poor performance.

5 minutes ago, sundog said:

Try reducing your anti-aliasing and/or resolution settings. Certain anti-aliasing modes do not play well with volumetric rendering, and this is usually the cause of poor performance.

Thanks Sundog for your response. What is (for you) the best level for anti-aliasing ? For the resolution, I'm in 3840*1080 due to the fact that I'm with a 49'' screen...

5 hours ago, FlyingSquale said:

Thanks Sundog for your response. What is (for you) the best level for anti-aliasing ? For the resolution, I'm in 3840*1080 due to the fact that I'm with a 49'' screen...

FXAA will give you the best performance, while not totally giving up anti-aliasing.