Shadows in VR

rawdmon

I just finished a flight in VR to try out the cloud shadows enabled.  After finishing the flight I'm disappointed.

The shadows look so good, they massively improve the immersiveness, I was just floored with how much depth it adds to everything just having those there.  I also found that the way the shadows gradually darken the cockpit is great as well (I don't get why people complain about it, it's exactly what's supposed to happen, just need to turn on instrument lighting and you're set).

The reason I'm disappointed though is because despite how good it looks, the moment you move your head the shadows shift left to right a lot (this hasn't improved over the previous version in this regard).  It makes them unusable and unfortunately as good as they look if I keep my head stationary, they are just a no-go for VR still at this point.  There has to be some way to fix this, and hopefully Laminar will help you out with that eventually because it's such a shame not to be able to use these.

Seriously, when my head is stationary in VR with the shadows enabled it's the most realistic experience I've ever had in VR thus far, it looks absolutely incredible.  Note that I'm still using the old style clouds as I'm finding the new volumetric ones to be too boxy on the edges and they also have other problems that breaks immersion.  The old style clouds somehow look even better in this version and their performance is good so I'll just stick with those personally.

Edited by rawdmon