Backlighting of steam gauges (other then clock/fuel)

Dozo

Recently, I seem to be missing the backlighting of the steam gauges in the 733. I am using XP11.50r1 + v1.33 of the 733. The clock and fuel gauges are properly lit, as are all the panels with 7-segment displays. I have HDR enabled in my XP settings.

Am I overlooking something here?

Thanks and blue skies!

Hmm, are you running any scripts or other plugins that change the way that X-Plane looks? Things like "better nightlighting" or Reshade or such? These have been known to change lighting intensities so that is the first thing I would suspect and remove (temporarily) to rule this out.

Cheers, Jan

Thanks for replying, Jan. I don't have reshade or other plugins like that active. I will try with a clean (no plugins) startup tomorrow to see if it helps anyway. I haven't been flying a lot lately and I have updated to v1.33 a week ago or so. I'll check tomorrow, thanks for the insights so far.

Disabled all plugins and scenery stuff and chose night time in-sim, all gauges were backlit. Re-enabled everything and did the same, the gauges are still backlit so it seems to be working fine. It must have been the time of day and/or lighting in the sim that made me convince the gauges were not backlit. I should've checked the nighttime before posting, my apologies.

Me too, I'll see if I encounter that same situation (or rather: perception) again and take note of the circumstances.

Could I ask you another question about autoland? I was wondering if the plane should keep itself centered on the runway after touchdown. For me, the autoland ends up in either side of the runway, as if the input for nosewheel steering is interfering or something alike. I have no rudder pedals installed or in use.

1 minute ago, Dozo said:

Could I ask you another question about autoland? I was wondering if the plane should keep itself centered on the runway after touchdown. For me, the autoland ends up in either side of the runway, as if the input for nosewheel steering is interfering or something alike. I have no rudder pedals installed or in use.

Good question!

The aircraft (like the real 737) can autoLAND but not autoROLLOUT. The autopilots have no control over rudder or nosewheel.

Thats why the aircraft is limited to the CAT IIIa minimum of 50-200. The pilot needs to SEE the runway lights at 50 feet (and have at least 200m runway visual range) to be able to keep it on the centerline after touchdown.

So the proper procedure is to disengage the autopilot shortly after touchdown...it will try to maintain the LOC (centerline) with the ailerons...which don´t really do anything while you are on the ground :).

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Ah, that clarifies it! Thanks for the explanation. I will map a yoke button for A/P disengage. Just now I (auto)landed at PANC and the plane had a desire to explore the vegetation to the left of the runway :)

What is the proper way of controlling the rollout given that I don't have rudder pedals (only a yoke + TQ)? Or is this where you send me shopping to get them? ;)

Edited by Dozo

Thanks Jan, I'll check out your suggestions.

One last thing; I noticed that on the FMC N1 LIMIT page negative temperature values are always entered as positives (so you enter -2 and the FMC will use +2). Not sure if it's a known thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again!

- Sebastian

Hi,

the temperature you enter on that page is called the TASS - the "temperature assumed". This is done to "trick" the engine into thinking that it is really warm outside - so it will reduce the available take-off thrust to stay withing temperature limit for takeoff. Since it REALLY isn´t that hot, the engine runs at a reduced thrust, saving wear and tear.

The engine is flat-rated to +30C, so a TASS lower than +30 will not work. Thats why you can´t enter negative numbers - normally you will not enter a  TASS that is lower than +30C.

http://www.b737.org.uk/assumedtemp.htm

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks again for explaining. I was badly educated to enter the OAT shown on that page, I'll study this more.

I made some progress regarding the rollout. I have assigned a left and right brake key and I managed to keep the plane on the runway much better. I think I found the culprit for veering off: upon landing today the nosewheel turned to the left and because of my braking actions and keeping the plane centered on the runway, the front tire blew as it was skidding along at a 90' angle :P
It was clearly visible on the replay this time. So I'll have to check on the toggle for steering.

• Like 1