TBM900 with HP Reverb G2 in VR

Mark Amber

Hello!

I just got my VR setup working and I have some questions/observations about the TBM900 for VR

- I have figured out that if I click on any of the PFD/MFD screens they will “pop out” and fill my entire vision. That’s nice but how do I close these without restarting the flight? They are so big that the edges will get cut off behind the cockpit so I might just have to look a certain direction. They do not have the window border like the payload window

- everything here seems a bit fuzzy. Much more so than the Zibo 737-800X (4k and non-4k) and the default 172. This is regardless of if I bring my face really close to the text or not. In the zibo things look sharp just like in 2D, yes sometimes I need to lean in but it’s fine. but in the TBM it seems intentionally fuzzed even when I lean in or use the zoom hotkey. 

- the G1000 controls are super sensitive (in addition to being fuzzy) I found a thread where it looks like I can edit some config file and slow them down but this will be wiped out when I update and I do not like generally messing with these files myself. Is this on the roadmap to get fixed?

- in VR in “walk around mode” (outside the aircraft) I can’t seem to get the covers off. I have to use the payload window. I thought I managed to click the fuel cap once but now I cant get it. Is there any way to increase the hitbox?

The first three issues are really hurting the experience. 

Please let me know if there are further questions I can answer regarding my setup. 

I probably can't help much but, personally, I think it would be great if we could have an option to stop those panels from popping out if we don't want them. In VR are you able to drag them with the mouse to get to a window control?

When trying to get the ideal setup optimisation (3 screen, RTX 3080) I found that the anti-aliasing affected texture sharpness; is there anything you can play with in that dept to improve it?

On 12/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, CJSouthern said:

I probably can't help much but, personally, I think it would be great if we could have an option to stop those panels from popping out if we don't want them. In VR are you able to drag them with the mouse to get to a window control?

When trying to get the ideal setup optimisation (3 screen, RTX 3080) I found that the anti-aliasing affected texture sharpness; is there anything you can play with in that dept to improve it?

Thanks- I will play with AA after work. I am limited by a 1080Ti at this time so I think I’m stuck with a lower setting. 

I understand that a 1080Ti cannot always be tack sharp on a brand new 2020 HP headset with 2kX2k in each eye but it’s quite puzzling to me that every other aircraft looks better. I will take a shot into the lens tonight too. 

Once a panel pops out I cannot close it without inducing crashing the game (task manager or open some WMR feature I know that crashes the game) , as I am unable to see the menu to enable the mouse cursor to close the box. I cannot use the VR wands to close it to the best of my knowledge. 

Hope you (or someone else here) is able to get it sorted for you. I was looking at getting that VR headset myself, but since 1 went from a single monitor to 3 - frankly - it's just so damn nice that I'm not in any particular hurry to go the VR route at this stage.

Would it be worth "maxing everything out" (at the expense of frame rate) to see what it does in terms of image clarity? And if that cures it then back settings off in the hope of getting a good compromise?

I'm no expert in these things, but 2x 4k is more pixels than my 3x 1920x1080 setup - and I'm running that on an RTX 3080 - and even I've had to limit the frame rate (to about 35fps) and back the AA off a couple of notches. I could be wrong, but I suspect that a 1080Ti might be a bit behind the curve.

I have a Reverb G1 is have the same trouble with the blurry displays. No matter what settings I try it's blurry. The scenery is fine, the cabin is lovely, but the displays are discouragingly hard to read. I've had the TBM since April and it wasn't this bad before (and I've gotten and eye test and new glasses since). I can barely read PROP RPM and  TQ, the PFD is really hard to read and it's just hard work.

I suspect it's the 11.50 release combined with the 1.1.12 TBM. I know Hotstart is working on 11.50 compatibility so I'm sure the problem will be fixed soon.

Sorry all I haven’t gotten back in the TMB yet. Lots of festivities. I’m keen to try again tonight. 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, CJSouthern said:

Hope you (or someone else here) is able to get it sorted for you. I was looking at getting that VR headset myself, but since 1 went from a single monitor to 3 - frankly - it's just so damn nice that I'm not in any particular hurry to go the VR route at this stage.

Would it be worth "maxing everything out" (at the expense of frame rate) to see what it does in terms of image clarity? And if that cures it then back settings off in the hope of getting a good compromise?

I'm no expert in these things, but 2x 4k is more pixels than my 3x 1920x1080 setup - and I'm running that on an RTX 3080 - and even I've had to limit the frame rate (to about 35fps) and back the AA off a couple of notches. I could be wrong, but I suspect that a 1080Ti might be a bit behind the curve.

Here’s my take, the performance seems to be fine. Honestly I never look at the FPS values. Maybe it’s because I have a 10core CPU and that’s making up for the aging GPU. But more likely I’m not that sensitive to it. The ZIBO is a bit jerky but it works for me. 

On 12/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Niall7913 said:

I have a Reverb G1 is have the same trouble with the blurry displays. No matter what settings I try it's blurry. The scenery is fine, the cabin is lovely, but the displays are discouragingly hard to read. I've had the TBM since April and it wasn't this bad before (and I've gotten and eye test and new glasses since). I can barely read PROP RPM and  TQ, the PFD is really hard to read and it's just hard work.

I suspect it's the 11.50 release combined with the 1.1.12 TBM. I know Hotstart is working on 11.50 compatibility so I'm sure the problem will be fixed soon.

Is this specific to the TBM for you too? Default 172, ZIBO... all of that is tack sharp. But the speed card by the window is a complete blur. Even if I get my eyes right up on it. It’s like as if all the textures were fully loaded, squashed to 1/16 size, then blown back up. 

I was playing with Microsoft 2020 in VR and there were some settings I messed with to get everything working a bit better - maybe I just have something messed up!

56 minutes ago, Mark Amber said:

Sorry all I haven’t gotten back in the TMB yet. Lots of festivities. I’m keen to try again tonight. 

Here’s my take, the performance seems to be fine. Honestly I never look at the FPS values. Maybe it’s because I have a 10core CPU and that’s making up for the aging GPU. But more likely I’m not that sensitive to it. The ZIBO is a bit jerky but it works for me. 

Is this specific to the TBM for you too? Default 172, ZIBO... all of that is tack sharp. But the speed card by the window is a complete blur. Even if I get my eyes right up on it. It’s like as if all the textures were fully loaded, squashed to 1/16 size, then blown back up. 

I was playing with Microsoft 2020 in VR and there were some settings I messed with to get everything working a bit better - maybe I just have something messed up!

Nope, specific to the TBM - all text is blurry but everything else is fine. I presume Goran M is working on it and many other things.

It means that looking at the map, FMA, PFD, caution messages, anything with text on it is horrible to read... like having a wrong prescription for text only.

HP Reverb G1, i7 8700k, RTX2070 Super, 16gb RAM.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, Ghhhh said:

Nope, specific to the TBM - all text is blurry but everything else is fine. I presume Goran M is working on it and many other things.

It means that looking at the map, FMA, PFD, caution messages, anything with text on it is horrible to read... like having a wrong prescription for text only.

HP Reverb G1, i7 8700k, RTX2070 Super, 16gb RAM.

alright- I got back to it finally! I had a successful flight!

so- here’s the thing that fixed the blur... I had the scaling setting set to 75% for the system. Now I know what everyone is thinking “well there’s your problem!”... but hold on! The default 172 and the ZIBO 738 handles this setting moderately well - or at least it’s good enough and I can live with the better performance. But the TBM? No way! Need this all set to 100% for system and game. I’m guessing that there is something slightly different about the textures here and they don’t scale down as well. Probably because the 737 is so digital and squared off it is easier to scale up and down. And the 172 is all gauges!

now as for the windows. I have gotten very careful, but it’s still annoying. I found that if I can somehow hit the touch point while the giant pop-out covers my vision.

My final notes:

1: The default seated position for VR is really far forward. I’m basing this on the headrest. I like it so the seated position is right against my headrest. 

2: there are way too many view points (this might not be adjustable to devs- I think they coincide with the hard coded viewpoints)

when you sit back a little further it is much easier to manipulate the avionics without them being hyper sensitive.

so overall I’m really happy now and I did a lot of experimentation. If anyone else is having issues ill check this thread again and keep notifications on for it!

This is a fantastic add on... so much better than the Microsoft flight sim 930 and even with my new settings it really performs worse on paper but I have no side effects from being in VR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I change the scaling?

On 12/29/2020 at 3:55 AM, Mark Amber said:

alright- I got back to it finally! I had a successful flight!

so- here’s the thing that fixed the blur... I had the scaling setting set to 75% for the system. Now I know what everyone is thinking “well there’s your problem!”... but hold on! The default 172 and the ZIBO 738 handles this setting moderately well - or at least it’s good enough and I can live with the better performance. But the TBM? No way! Need this all set to 100% for system and game. I’m guessing that there is something slightly different about the textures here and they don’t scale down as well. Probably because the 737 is so digital and squared off it is easier to scale up and down. And the 172 is all gauges!

now as for the windows. I have gotten very careful, but it’s still annoying. I found that if I can somehow hit the touch point while the giant pop-out covers my vision.

My final notes:

1: The default seated position for VR is really far forward. I’m basing this on the headrest. I like it so the seated position is right against my headrest. 

2: there are way too many view points (this might not be adjustable to devs- I think they coincide with the hard coded viewpoints)

when you sit back a little further it is much easier to manipulate the avionics without them being hyper sensitive.

so overall I’m really happy now and I did a lot of experimentation. If anyone else is having issues ill check this thread again and keep notifications on for it!

This is a fantastic add on... so much better than the Microsoft flight sim 930 and even with my new settings it really performs worse on paper but I have no side effects from being in VR.