Wx Radar not picking up rain cells

mizra108

Hi there,

So I've noticed during my last flight that the wx radar is not depicting TS cells per weather injected to XP11 by ASXP. In the image attached, you can see I am going through a cell but the radar barely picks up any light intensity echoes. I played with the tilt with no different results. Never got any red or yellow. Is there something I am not doing right? Is ASXP not compatible?

776106484_X-PlaneScreenshot2020_12.09-22_32_04_13.png

Hi Mizra,

our weather radar will only pick up X-Plane default weather - but it depends on the weather addon if that one is also using X-Plane default weather, so it could be working with ASXP.

A possibility is that you "overscanned" the weather ahead. At 32000 feet the air is really cold and the weather radar can not pick up ice crystals. It can only "see" liquid water (below the 0 C altitude). So if you approach a cell when flying high, you need to tilt down more and more to see it. When you are close, you can´t see it on the radar anymore, because you need to tilt down so much.

Modern wxr radar systems "store" the position of cells, so even if the radar can´t scan it anymore, it still shows.

https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/optimum-use-of-weather-radar/

Cheers, Jan