Clouds Not Displaying Correctly

Geoff Akehurst

I am assumming this is the correct place to seek advice.

Based on video reviews I decided to purchase Skymax Pro but find the overcast clouds not quite correct. I was disappointed to learn the rain effects are not supported by Vulcan so I have turned it off.

My windows PC is powerful so I run x-plane 11.5 with most settings quite high.

With the default program settings I am finding that if I set the clouds to overcast with a good vertical depth, as I fly out of the cloud it completely disappears so all the ground is visible. I was expecting as seen in the review videos, to climb out of the cloud and look down on the cloud textures. I have no other add-ons installed that would conflict with the software. Also, I am not using the connection to live weather as all I want is better clouds and precipitation. I tried the same with Vulcan turned on but here when I rise above the overcast clouds I just see white as if I am looking down on a flat featureless piece of white paper.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going wrong? Appreciate any assistance.

I can send a log file if I know which one to send.

21 hours ago, Geoff Akehurst said:

I decided to re-install the program and now it works fine and looks good. Quite a relief.  One thing I notice is when overcast conditions are set, the sun still throws shadows on everything.  Is this a bug or rather something with X-Plane?

Are you referring to shadows of the clouds, or of other objects? If it's clouds, then it's our fault and I'll look into it.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Geoff Akehurst said:

Sorry, should have been clearer. The shadows occur on the ground objects so buildings and aircraft. Probably something adrift on X-Plane rather than Skymax.

Default scenery or Ortho or TrueEarth? If it's satellite imagery the shadows you're seeing may just be included in that. 

That could be. SkyMaxx Pro has to completely disable X-Plane's built in cloud system so it can replace it with its own, but this probably has the side effect of X-Plane thinking there are no overcast clouds being drawn when in fact we're drawing them ourselves. I don't think there's any way for us to tell X-Plane otherwise in their current add-on interface.