Silverlining Volumetric Clouds

rawdmon

2 hours ago, rawdmon said:

Can we expect to see this coming to SkyMaxx eventually? 

https://sundog-soft.com/2020/09/silverlinings-volumetric-clouds-get-performance-and-visual-upgrades/

I believe you're currently still using the billboard method in SkyMaxx? 

There is a freeware one that works quiet fine with this, only real issue they having is AA when in the clouds, its come a long way

4 hours ago, rawdmon said:

Can we expect to see this coming to SkyMaxx eventually? 

https://sundog-soft.com/2020/09/silverlinings-volumetric-clouds-get-performance-and-visual-upgrades/

I believe you're currently still using the billboard method in SkyMaxx? 

You're quite the sleuth! SilverLining (the engine SkyMaxx is built upon) has had "volumetric" clouds since 2010, and the very first version of SkyMaxx Pro even used them. We do use X-Plane as a testbed for SilverLining, which is sold as a separate product to various military and civilian flight simulation companies. Can't comment yet on whether we might be bringing them back to SkyMaxx Pro soon.

Edited by sundog

On 11/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, mjrhealth said:

There is a freeware one that works quiet fine with this, only real issue they having is AA when in the clouds, its come a long way

The freeware one that you're talking about aren't truly 3d / volumetric clouds. They use the billboard method to create the illusion of volumetric clouds. The Silverlining feature that I linked to is true volumetric clouds rendered in 3d. Based on what I read in the article they perform better than the billboard clouds that SkyMaxx is currently using so it would be interesting to have them as an option in SkyMaxx. I guess we'll see what happens :)

Edit: I see now that the ones you were referring to are truly volumetric. I didn't realize that was the case when I was looking at them previously. 

Edited by rawdmon

45 minutes ago, rawdmon said:

The freeware one that you're talking about aren't truly 3d / volumetric clouds. They use the billboard method to create the illusion of volumetric clouds. The Silverlining feature that I linked to is true volumetric clouds rendered in 3d. Based on what I read in the article they perform better than the billboard clouds that SkyMaxx is currently using so it would be interesting to have them as an option in SkyMaxx. I guess we'll see what happens :)

Wrong:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/65005-enhanced-cloudscapes/

4 hours ago, akatham said:

I'll have to examine the package files to see what it does exactly. I was under the impression that it's just a texture replacement. The anti-aliasing issue with those clouds make them unusable for me.  They also cause a big fps hit. If it is a custom cloud engine then it needs a lot of work still. 

Edited by rawdmon

6 hours ago, rawdmon said:

I'll have to examine the package files to see what it does exactly. I was under the impression that it's just a texture replacement. The anti-aliasing issue with those clouds make them unusable for me.  They also cause a big fps hit. If it is a custom cloud engine then it needs a lot of work still. 

Its free so be happy and it has come a long way, And FPS hit isnt that big, new thing will take time to optimize.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:21 AM, mjrhealth said:

Its free so be happy and it has come a long way, And FPS hit isnt that big, new thing will take time to optimize.

I took another look at them and the code is quite impressive. I gave the latest release a try and it's much better than they used to be. The performance is improved, the clouds look better now and more realistic than anything else I've used, the anti-aliasing is improved, and they have cloud ground shadows that work well in VR as well which has been a major pain point for me with SMP. I'll be sticking with those now until something better eventually comes along.

Edited by rawdmon