Cold & Dark settings

Have been searching (in vain so far) for a way to user-set the cold & dark state.. is that possible? There are some switches that in other XP11 Boeings are set to off when the sim loads - they are on in the 733. Not a major issue of course (I can turn them off before I begin) but it would be good to have the O/H panel looking as I am used to seeing it :)

When I first bought the 733, I wrote myself a checklist to go from cold and dark at departure gate to cold and dark (or whatever) at the destination, as I do for all my XP planes (and read it from my Kindle).. in the one for the 733 I have noted to turn switches on that are now on by default, so, although I don't now recall specifically, seems to me that the O/H panel must have originally had those switches off at startup?

Thanks!

Edited by martinlest

No, you can not determine the state of switches when loading the cold+dark scenario. I changed the position of some switches recently to bring them more in line with the way switches are in the real aircraft when it is found in the cold and dark state.

But out of interest, which switch do you think is positioned wrong? If you can convince me that is should be in another state, I can change them for the next patch.

Otherwise I would suggest amending your checklist - instead of amending the plane to go with a wrong checklist ;-)

Cheers, Jan

No, I am not saying you have got it 'wrong' (far be it from me!!) :)... it's just that some users may prefer things slightly differently (like some airlines to be honest - I don't think that there is such a thing as 'the' checklist, is there? There are small differences between airlines and their normal way of doing things).

I, for example, (as you ask) prefer to have all four hydraulic switches off until engine startup. But no 'biggie'... I guess I can amend my IXEG checklist to fit in with what you have programmed. Or reset the switches manually before I begin, but that seems a bit 'silly'!

Thanks Jan.

Edited by martinlest

Airlines used to be "free" in the way they make their checklist...and in a way they still are. Still there is a strong momentum and benefit to using the manufacturers checklists: Legal liability. If you make your own and things go wrong - your fault. If you operate exactly per manufacturers instructions and things go wrong: Manufacturers fault.

The engine driven hydraulic pumps specifically are not turned off - unless there is a malfunction (or if you are pushing back without a steering bypass pin inserted). Never ever. There is no need, because they will only put out pressure when the engines turn. The electrically driven hydraulic pumps are switched off when leaving the aircraft - you do NOT want them to become powered when ground power or APU supplies AC power, because that may suddenly move flight control surfaces and hurt a human being close to them (however unlikely that is). It is procedure to only turn them on after receiving "hydraulic clearance" from a person outside overseeing the aircraft surroundings.

You could work around the issue like this, if you prefer to do otherwise (hey, you paid 75$, you own the aircraft!) - just turn off all pumps when you are done, leave computer running with X-Plane open until you want to fly the next day! ;)

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

Perhaps the 'nitty gritty' of issues like this (in so far as XP is concerned) is how developers decide to balance their own drive for 'reality' (= "perfection"??) against what purchasers would prefer ('the customer is never wrong", as we say in the UK - though of course in fact, he or she often is: you're just not supposed to tell them so!).

I think in XP, most users want a high level of reality too, but I have in the past taken issue with developers (no names) who are so purist that they seem to ignore that we are all not in a real aircraft, but sitting in front of a computer screen with a keyboard and joystick. Some things (IMHO) transfer less well from real-world to Flight Simulation than others.

But for the purposes of the present thread, no worries - rather than leaving my PC running 24/7 (haha) I will just change my expectations (and checklist - at least for the 733: the Zibo 738 is tweakable, and I suppose I will leave my engine hydraulics off, as is my (bad?) habit).

Or... I might even decide to rationalise all my Boeing cold starts and set things up as per your 733!

Edited by martinlest
  • Like 1