angle or throtte

Fred737

From Jan's video I am learning to fly looking at the HSI instead of only the vertical speed meter. Now I have a "problem"  I only do handfying without autopilot and without auto-throttle (except in the IXEG where I am not in a permanent state of war with the  auto throttle :) ) I fly for most the IXEG 737, Tolliss A319, FF 767 and FF A350 but befor the IXEG I only flew bush planes and helis so still new on airliners, navigation etc 

I have problems keeping the speed down. By throttle did not work until I changed the curves of my Saitek throttle units. 25% for reverse and alpha, around 40% idle then a very flat low angle curve for normal operation and the last 20% steep up to full. But when I have everything under control (decending at a constant speed, so a stabilized approach, (but also during cruise flying like a jojo going up and down between AT and manual idle . If I manages to keep it stabilised, the HSI sits around 10-15 degrees, even during descent. I found the replay option this week and started looking the landings and then noticed how much angle upped I flew. That is why I addapted the throttle curves but that can not be the right way. Others fly well using normal throttle. 

If I look from a physics point of view, I think I have to much thrust and the high pitch delivers  enough drag to keep the speed down (like a kite) . I must find a way to set the correct angle (5 degrees up ? ) using pitch and then use throttle to get the VS zero for cruise. But that makes things pretty complicated, for most using autothrottle, and if there are speed restrictions like under 5000 ft or during descent/approach and landing.

In what order do I operate thrust, pitch and speed ? 

Hi Jan,

Thanks, I have studied your videos that belong to the plane but did not know the others.
I think my "problem" could be related to the flightmodel. I use experimental for all planes but learned recently that nowadays I have to uncheck that as default because the developer needs to check that option in the AFC file if his plane needs the experimental model switched on. I looked at almost all my planes and only 2 have checked the experimental flymode to on. So I will uncheck the EFM in the general settings and see if that gives an improvement. 

BTW in the IXEG 737 the EMF option is not turned on, but I read somewhere on this forum the plane does need the EFM turner on. 

BTW2 There is a test button next to the fuel meters, in a video it worked but in my planer it does not work. 

Hello Fred,

the EFM should be turned on for best performance - but the plane will fly fine with it turned off as well. Your problems have nothing to do with the EFM. We will have it "forced on" by planemaker in the next update.

The test button for the fuel meter and the test button for the leading-edge devices do currently not work due to a timer bug which will be fixed with the next Gizmo release.

Cheers, Jann

Hi Jan, 

The speed problem is solved,. The original settings for the throttle quadrant curves were screwed up. I use the "has reverse/beta" but found a "bug" in XP. I have 6 axis for throttle quadrant. I was experimenting with the settings using 1 spare axis (see first post). It turns out If you set the throttle #1  to "none" or VV and then use a spare axis for throttle #1  and later go back to the original axis for throttle #1  the checkbox is now uncheckt but the curve does not change (and on top of it, rechecking it messes up the original settings). 

I asked you because you are good in explaining, and I learned the airliner basis from your tutorials. (dive-bombing techniques or other things the flying cowboys do in stol planes is strange enough not handy in an airliner. :P I now search for nice 300-400 nm trips and then do the whole planning and programming FMS thing, and I like it.  And in the future I will expand it step by step to include weather, fuel planning, ATC (if I can get that to work), more serious vertical navigation, etc, but first mastering AP so I can use that for short periods in flight if I want to check things, do ATC or prepare a descent etc. Damn, my pressious 737 changed me from divebombing stol pilot to virtual airliner

I can now set throttle for the 737 over the whole range without strange non lineair throttle curves and it flies like a dream again. BTW I fly the IXEG with EFM turned on from the first flight. 

The Toliss uses normal flight model (forced)  and rechecking the beta tickbox and correcting the curves solved it. The original problem was me, because I did not understand the alternate and normal law (and the protections, go to fast, pitch up, until I hit space :-) ) That made me looking for the EMF and  throttle curves because I read somewhere the biggest difference for EFM is drag related (so speed).  And so messing up things for my other airliners too. (instead of idle the throttle now was at 40% in the idle position) 

Update: the fuelmeter, could it be this lines in the afc file ?    Test mode at 0 ? 

GROUP Fuel gauge 3
    SHOW_LESS 2.000000 [0]
    SHOW_EQUAL 0.000000 [0]
    SHOW_GREATER 0.000000 ixeg/733/fuel/fuel_test_mode[0]

I opened the AFC in notepad to set experimental to 1 (faster as using planemaker) and then noticed this

Happy to hear that you got the speedproblem fixed! :)

The fuel quantity test is fully driven by our custom lua code, so it can´t be influenced by planemaker. The fuel gauges work, it is just the test (going through different displays) that doesn´t work. I am pretty sure that the MEL would allow flying without it, but the poor maintenance guys would probably have to pull dripsticks before every flight (and have the fuel run into their sleeves!).

Cheers, Jan