Gizmo error at programming FMC

netwalker

Hi netwalker,

hmm - it looks like you tried to enter the runway/intersection into the LSK 5L? I have to try this myself, maybe there is a bug lurking.

For what it is worth, we never entered that value on the real 737 because performance was calculated with an external method (first runway-weight-charts, later with the EFB), so it may have slipped our quality control.

More so there is no functionality attached to that field in our 737, so entering anything there will likely have no effect.

Another thing I noticed is the incredibly high takeoff speeds the FMS calculates for you - this leads me to believe that you have set the preference for lbs/kgs units to kgs, but are entering weights as pounds?

Cheers, Jan

Edit: I tried to recreate your error on the Takeoff page but was not successful - can you give me exact steps to get it? Thanks!

Edited by Litjan

Hi Litjan,

sorry for the slightly delayed answer.
Unfortunately I also could not reconstruct the error. 
When programming the FMC I always enter the airways and waypoints at the right place - that's why the error message couldn't come.

I also noticed the extremely high takeoff speeds - on the takeoff Ref page when I accepted the proposed V1 value by mouse click the error occurred, if I remember correctly.

I suspect two possible sources of error: 
1 - in any input field the allowed limits are missing - therefore the calculation algorithm could calculate such unreal high takeoff speeds.
2 - I accidentally forgot to press the EXEC key somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
netwalker

Thanks for getting back to me on this - normally we are careful to "limit" the values that you can put into fields, but there is always the chance that we missed something.

We are always thankful for hints and feedback on how to improve our plane, so if you gain any additional insight in this (or any other) matter, please let me know!

Cheers, Jan