Holding With the G1000

Erroneous_Funk

Howdy,

Firstly I've been enjoying the product, though I use it for solely instrument work and I've been having trouble holding with the aircraft.

The G1000 traditionally has "OBS" or "SUSP" on one of the softkeys on the PFD, which will appear and disappear depending on the mode of the G1000. This appears to be absent from this model unless I've just missed it. Pressing "SUSP" on whatever active leg you're on would then make that next fix an active hold where your course is your inbound leg. This also doesn't seem to appear when holding at an IAF, where the G1000 asks if we want to hold at the IAF, then makes one lap in the hold. During this time on the inbound leg after doing one lap at the IAF, SUSP would need to be pressed again to make the G1000 do more than one lap.

Any help is appreciated

• 1 month later...

So far, I've only encountered one hold as part of an instrument approach procedure turn.  I'd set up an OBS at a waypoint and fly it manually by heading control for now.

Set OBS mode on your PFD to the inbound course with the course knob. This will automatically activate SUSP (also not featured).  Then when you reach the waypoint, use your heading indicator to turn outbound setting course based on wind and starting the timer.  When it's time to turn back inbound, lead with the heading indicator and reactivate nav mode to track course back inbound.  Plane will do all standard-rate turns. 

Edited by Aleksandar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...