Error when changing speed in FMC LEGS page

Hi, 

I've encountered the problem during my descend after I got a DCT to a wpt by the ATC. I saw that for my wpt the speed was mach .71 (and it's supposed to be max 250kts since the acft should be at 3000ft at that wpt) and when I;ve inserted manual speed 210kts in the LEGS page for the specific wpt, I got this console error.

The sim did not crashed, the plane worked fine and it actually accepted the speed.

Flying on 11.50 and with standard stable Gizmo.

Cheers!

IXEG_error_new_speed.JPG

Hi and thanks for the report! Definitely a bug - and something that should be rectified when we rewrite the VNAV code.

For now my suggestion is to not use the FMS restrictions on descent - most of the time you wont get a lua error like this, but the FMS will simply not meet the restriction.

It is more reliable to fly the plane with V/S and assure that you hit the restrictions that way.

Cheers, Jan

Hi @Litjan and tnx for the reply. Yes, that's exactly what I did in this case. I've continued in FLCH mode and later in V/S since I was sure VNAV won't capture it and I didn't wanted to cause any potential problems to ATC and other ppl around me. 

Looking forward to fix this one in the future! Keep up the good work! :)

Just keep in mind that whenever a lua error like that occurs - the whole code MAY be compromised and various bits may not be working correctly anymore.

You could "just fly on" like you did and hope for the best - or you can hit the "reboot gizmo" button on the right-side popout menu. This will "reset" the aircraft in mid-flight, you will end up with your gear down and possibly some mismatch in pressurization and of course the FMS is totally blank - but depending on your workload and situation this may be a safer way onward (raise gear, set pressurization to STBY mode, reset weights and fuel as desired, reprogram the FMS).

Cheers, Jan

• 11 months later...

I've gotten this error many times. If I leave the gizmo-thing alone, it messes up the autoflight logic to some extent. If I reboot it it's not a good day in the cockpit, as it reverts to cold and dark (gear down, irs off, eng off, hyd off, batt off etc.)

Inflight restart from cold and dark is not a good time.. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Trolling_Thunder said:

If I reboot it it's not a good day in the cockpit, as it reverts to cold and dark (gear down, irs off, eng off, hyd off, batt off etc.)

This will be considerably less difficult if you choose "ready to fly" as your startup option (vs. "cold and dark" or "turnaround").

20 hours ago, Litjan said:

This will be considerably less difficult if you choose "ready to fly" as your startup option (vs. "cold and dark" or "turnaround").

Didn't really give me choice: 

or am I missing something? 
(which could be the case because I'm a dumbo)
Edited by Trolling_Thunder

When you choose "reboot gizmo" it will reboot it picking the choice you made in the preflight menu that pops out when you bump the mouse on the left screen.

There are several ways to reboot gizmo, one is clicking on the option on the blue window that pops out...but you can also bump the right screen for the "gizmo" popout window and click on the little "flash". Or you can set a key or button to that option.

So once you get a blue screen with an error - just close it. Then bump the left side of the screen and select the startup state "ready to fly". After that bump the right side of the screen and select the "reboot gizmo".

You may want to "practice" it once so you are proficient if it hits you unexpectedly...not that I hope that it does regularly ;).

One problem with this reboot is that the cabin temperature will be set to "ambient" - which may be very cold...in addition to it being unpressurized. So dependent on your altitude, you will have to really work the backup controls (which is a good exercise) to stabilize the cabin in both pressure and temperature...

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1