Nose high after T/O. Any advice please?

Hi. New to this a/c - I wonder if someone could kindly let me know the settings they use for T/O: every time i pull the joystick back at VR (Saitek X52), albeit smoothly (as required), after a few seconds the nose goes up to between 25-35 degs (!). I have to push the joystick very well forward very quickly to get to a more normal situation, but by then the speed has of course dropped dramatically. 

As I say, I am gentle on the joystick (similar movement to say, Zibo 738, but I 'play it by ear' of course as the a/c rotates and starts to climb), and I have trim set as per the FMC. My GW = c.120K/CoG=20%, so trim is usually around 4.2....

What values work best in the 773 to get a nicely controlled take off when hand-flying? Is there a 'sweet spot'? I have tried several practice takeoffs now and the nose always angles up to at least 25 degs before I can push the nose down again and the speed starts to climb away from a stall.

I shouldn't need to underset the trim, should I? If I do so, by at least 0.5, that helps. You get a warning if it's too far off.

I assume I don't touch the weight/balance settings in XP's own menu - just use the IXEG input menus?

Thank you for any advice specific to this 733. :)

Edited by martinlest

Hi Martin,

something definitely wrong with your setup.

With the CG at default - around 20% MAC (doublecheck on the "GROUND SERVICES" menu) - a trim of around 4 should not give you any problems. At the recommended trim, the speed is stable at around V2+20 kts.

Initial rotation should require a definite nose-up input (up to 2/3 of full elevator), once the nose starts going up you can relax that to just a slightly nose-up input to rotate with ca. 3 deg/second. The full rotation to ca. 18 deg nose up should take you 6 seconds, roughly.

Make sure you run with the "experimental flight model ON" - the plane is "tuned" for this new setting, it will soon become the default X-Plane flight model.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

Hi Jan,

Thank you. After rotation I push the joystick forward, as smoothly as possible, nothing too aggressive, but so far I haven't been able to prevent the nose form reaching up to 30 degs, it happens too fast. Makes for a rather inelegant takeoff, compared say to the Zibo 738 or the FF 767... Yes, CG is 20% and I now fly rather heavier than before, I make the GW around 120K-LBS. Helps a little, as I mentioned.

I will try flying the 733 today with 'Experimental Flight Model' on ((it has been 'off' so far) and post back as to whether that helps.

Edited by martinlest
  • Like 1