Cockpit 'haze'

pegruder

So I noticed in certain weather conditions, SMP4 adds this weird 'haze' over the entire image.  I get the outside wanting to look hazy but it extends in to the cockpit.  Is there a way I can turn this feature off?  If I disable SMP it seems to clear up.  No other shader addons or anything like that installed.

1 minute ago, sundog said:

This is an issue we were trying to fix with the just released 4.9.6 version. Are you seeing this with it?

Yep - just happened tonight first flight after upgrading.  I always forget to make a post once I have all the flight gear strapped to the desk.  

2 hours ago, sundog said:

A screenshot and log.txt might help me understand what you're seeing. Does this happen when you are flying inside a solid or broken overcast cloud? That's the only situation where we would try to apply our own fog.

I just tried to duplicate and of course couldn't lol.  It was at night and on the ground, stock C172, which is what made it worse and I was in VR if this matters.  Next time it happens I'll take a screen shot and capture the log.

13 hours ago, pegruder said:

Looks like it finally happened.  Here are images with SMP on and off and logs.

Log.txt 154.75 kB · 1 download

Hard to say. If the brighter one is the one with SMP, my guess would be that the crepuscular rays feature in SMP is kicking in because you're looking toward the sun. You can disable that in SMP's configuration settings. If the darker one is SMP, then I would suspect a cloud shadow covered the plane. You can also adjust the cloud shadow intensity in SMP's settings.

2 hours ago, sundog said:

Hard to say. If the brighter one is the one with SMP, my guess would be that the crepuscular rays feature in SMP is kicking in because you're looking toward the sun. You can disable that in SMP's configuration settings. If the darker one is SMP, then I would suspect a cloud shadow covered the plane. You can also adjust the cloud shadow intensity in SMP's settings.

The darker one was SMP.  Im assuming this is just a limitation of XP itself.  Cloud coverage should make it overall darker, except it seems like it even lowers the brightness of the instruments as well which was mainly my issue.  This is also the effect that happened to me at night which compounded the issue, but also seemed off as it shouldnt get any darker when its already night time, if thats making any sense.  I may just adjust the that intensity to something that is a good tradeoff.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, pegruder said:

The darker one was SMP.  Im assuming this is just a limitation of XP itself.  Cloud coverage should make it overall darker, except it seems like it even lowers the brightness of the instruments as well which was mainly my issue.  This is also the effect that happened to me at night which compounded the issue, but also seemed off as it shouldnt get any darker when its already night time, if thats making any sense.  I may just adjust the that intensity to something that is a good tradeoff.

That looks like you may have been in the shadow of a cloud.  The way SkyMaxx draws it's cloud shadows is different than the way that XPlane does it and the shadows seem to also significantly affect the inside of the plane as well as far as I have noticed.  They were looking in to fixing that but not sure if they were able to make any progress with it.  They can only work with whatever Laminar opens up in the API for them to use.  Maybe try putting the shadow slider to 0 and see if that issue remains?

Edited by rawdmon
  • Upvote 1