Castor/free castor for the front gear

Goofy

Hello :)
It would be nice if there was a "castor/free castor" option for the front gear in the aircarft options windows.

In the real life, it's easy to steer a plane with a free castor front gear. However  in X-Plane the wheel brakes management is difficult to use, even with a rudder pedals having toe brakes. They react practically as on or off. It's very difficult to steer on the grouns at low speed. It's more difficult if there's a crosswind.

A free castor option would be a good idea.

• Upvote 1

To control the aircraft more easily with the toe brakes, a little engine power should be used to tow the aircraft forward. If the engine is at idle, it is very difficult to steer the plane with the toe brakes.

To adjust the sensitivity curves, you use the normal X-Plane interface for joystick control:

toe-brake_1.jpg

toe-brake_2.jpg

This works good for me.   I always use linear curves and to lessen the sensitivity at the top, I keep the curve fairly low until the right portion where I let it go to full deflection.

Hope this works for you.   I've tried lots of ways of doing this but I like this the best

toeBrakeResponse.png

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, Goofy said:

Hello :)
It would be nice if there was a "castor/free castor" option for the front gear in the aircarft options windows.

In the real life, it's easy to steer a plane with a free castor front gear. However  in X-Plane the wheel brakes management is difficult to use, even with a rudder pedals having toe brakes. They react practically as on or off. It's very difficult to steer on the grouns at low speed. It's more difficult if there's a crosswind.

A free castor option would be a good idea.

I would agree if possible, especially for those of us that don't have rudder pedals. For example I use a joystick swivel stick, and taxi-ing is a bit of a nightmare right now. It's not realistic, true, but would definitely help.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Has there been any new updates or recommendation for the steering. I own a real SR22 and have about 600hrs time in it. The real plane is pretty easy to steer on the ground even in crosswinds. However the 1.1.1 Torquesim is near impossible to steer at last with the saitek pedals I have and current settings. My settings works well on other planes including the Jason Chandler SR22. 
overall I love the TorqueSim SR22 (just not on the ground)

I’ll try the recommended brake sensitivity mappings tomorrow. And see if that makes me a bit happier. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, snomhf said:

This works good for me.   I always use linear curves and to lessen the sensitivity at the top, I keep the curve fairly low until the right portion where I let it go to full deflection.

Hope this works for you.   I've tried lots of ways of doing this but I like this the best

toeBrakeResponse.png

These settings helped me a lot. Thanks. The important part was to set the Curve to "Linear." I set my second point at 0.80 (instead of 0.90). Otherwise, this is exactly what I did, after I had a great deal of difficulty taxiing the plane. Now, the plane taxis just fine. 

• 1 month later...

Just to close this out, I remapped the brake pedals sensitivity as suggested by Lon (BTW I'm using Saitek Rudder pedals) and the plane feels much more realistic now with ground handling. I'm happy.

To the developers, if you do add provisions for steering without brake pedals please make it an option. I want to keep as much realism in the SR22 models as possible. Great products by the way.

• 1 month later...

As this is one of the best aircraft for XPlane I was glad to find this fix. Prior to the fix, if there was a crosswind I was all over the taxiway on the way to the runway. I set my brakes up to the linear curve and it has made a positive difference in handling the aircraft at taxi speeds.