The standby altimeter

diamonddriller

I took a flight just now (with my wonderful new "black" G1000 screens - thanks again!), and set the altimeter at 6000' on the correct setting of 30.03 for where I was flying.  I hadn't touched the standby altimeter, and it also registered 6000'.  Good, I thought.  It syncs - but then I looked closely.  The standby setting was 30.20  - quite a way off.  Of course, when I set that to the read the same altimeter setting as the G1000, the two instruments differed considerably.

I haven't tried it since, and it may have been a one off.  Anyone else noticed this?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, Attitude said:

This has been fixed on my end and will be in the next update. 

This is a normal thing to have and should not be changed.  The altimeter setting and altitude reporting on the G1000 is computed by an ADC (air data computer) versus a mechanical aneroid on the standby altimeter that can have error. Same can be seen even on a big jet, where captain and first officer altimeters can be slightly off as they get data from different pressure ports (PFD vs standby as well).  The maximum difference on an RVSM equipped airliner is within 75 feet of field elevation while on the ground and within 200 feet in flight.  Any more, and it is defective.

Edited by Aleksandar

2 hours ago, Aleksandar said:

This is a normal thing to have and should not be changed.  The altimeter setting and altitude reporting on the G1000 is computed by an ADC (air data computer) versus a mechanical aneroid on the standby altimeter that can have error. Same can be seen even on a big jet, where captain and first officer altimeters can be slightly off as they get data from different pressure ports (PFD vs standby as well).  The maximum difference on an RVSM equipped airliner is within 75 feet of field elevation while on the ground and within 200 feet in flight.  Any more, and it is defective.

Totally! We simulate a bit of difference as is. I made a new disc and the values were incorrect. They were off much more than intended, has since been reworked :) Cheers! 

On 10/19/2020 at 12:15 AM, Attitude said:

Totally! We simulate a bit of difference as is. I made a new disc and the values were incorrect. They were off much more than intended, has since been reworked :) Cheers! 

Agreed! I went back and noticed just how much a difference there was...definitely more than 200 feet. lol.  I just made the standby match instead of focusing on the setting.

• Upvote 1