CHT warning in PFD

Took the SR22 (Non-turbo) for a spin today, and a yellow CHT warning appeared in the PFD.  All the CHT values were in the green, but I adjusted the mixture (which really only affected the EGT more - as expected) and throttled back a bit, but the message never went.  Also, it did not show in "Alerts" when I pressed the caution button.  It did not even disappear when I had landed, and was idling.

X-Plane 11.50b16 on a Mac.  

Also, I could not use the plane in "metal" as the frame rate was 15.  Over double that in OpenGL.  I tried adjusting all the usual sliders and rebooted X-Plane a couple of times, then gave up on Metal.

A much less complex plane (Aerosphere's Warrior) gave me 45 fps in Metal.  

4 hours ago, diamonddriller said:

Took the SR22 (Non-turbo) for a spin today, and a yellow CHT warning appeared in the PFD.  All the CHT values were in the green, but I adjusted the mixture (which really only affected the EGT more - as expected) and throttled back a bit, but the message never went.  Also, it did not show in "Alerts" when I pressed the caution button.  It did not even disappear when I had landed, and was idling.

X-Plane 11.50b16 on a Mac.  

Also, I could not use the plane in "metal" as the frame rate was 15.  Over double that in OpenGL.  I tried adjusting all the usual sliders and rebooted X-Plane a couple of times, then gave up on Metal.

A much less complex plane (Aerosphere's Warrior) gave me 45 fps in Metal.  

CHT warning bug has been identified and fixed on our end, will roll out with the next update.

I know LR is working on a known performance issue right now with b16, that could possibly be it, Metal mode should always perform at least as well as OpenGL I believe, so that seems like a bug in LRs court.

Thanks Coop. 

On the metal front, I trust LR will get this sorted before the final release, because I have yet to see the amazing advantage that I was expecting.........  Hopefully, they will leave us the OpenGL option, just in case.  These sort of things are made more difficult when there are so many permutations of the users' hardware to be satisfied.  I'll be surprised if MSFS2020 satisfies a high percentage of PC customers, as well.  The ideal 2080Ti costs around $1700+, so that's going to be a problem for many.

33 minutes ago, diamonddriller said:

Thanks Coop. 

On the metal front, I trust LR will get this sorted before the final release, because I have yet to see the amazing advantage that I was expecting.........  Hopefully, they will leave us the OpenGL option, just in case.  These sort of things are made more difficult when there are so many permutations of the users' hardware to be satisfied.  I'll be surprised if MSFS2020 satisfies a high percentage of PC customers, as well.  The ideal 2080Ti costs around $1700+, so that's going to be a problem for many.

Something I have had luck with in the past is deleting the X-Plane.prf file in X-Plane 11/Output/Preferences. Sometimes old graphics settings get locked in with X-Plane updates, hurting frames. I recommend saving a backup of this file and then deleting the file, you will lose some settings in X-Plane, but there typically is a good performance boost :) 

Yes, Coop.  I've sometimes replaced my whole prefs directory from Time Machine when X-Plane misbehaves.   Also, just the actual .prf file replacement has worked, but I never thought of trying this with in the beta - so thanks for reminding me to try it.  Mostly, with just the .prf replacement,  I just have to recalibrate the controls, and re-assign the odd button.  It only takes a couple of minutes.  I haven't saved any profiles in the beta - and I've never bothered to think about where they are saved (i.e in the actual .prf file, or elsewhere in the directory)!

Edited by diamonddriller

Sadly, no difference after new .prf!.  Frame rate is over double in OpenGL(35-38 fps).  Even your Islander only manages 22 fps or so in Metal, but no problem in OpenGL.  In 11.41, I can get 48 or so in the Islander.  I get a better frame rate (in Metal) with other complex planes, but none of them performs nearly as well in Metal as in OpenGL (11.41 or 11.50).  This has to be an LR problem.  The SR22 definitely is a frame rate killer for me (no offence!), as, for example the TBM900 will run at 50 fps in OpenGL, as will Carenado's PA46 Meridian, and they both have a lot of G1000 hardware.  35fps is plenty, so no worries.  Metal is a non-starter at the moment, for me.  Maybe the 2020 iMac will be a better bet - we'll see in a few weeks, I believe.  This could simply be the current Apple AMD driver not getting the best out of LR's efforts, of course!  It's easy to blame LR ;)

I get pretty good performance, but I'm currently on my older iMac, which has the 4GHz i7, 32GB (DDR3) and the 4GB m395 graphics card.  Not a slouch, but the weak spot is the graphics card.  However, if I dial the textures down a bit, I still have enough VRAM, so quite why the SR22 is running so slowly in metal, I'm not sure.  As it's very flyable in OpenGL, I'll soldier on!   Metal is OK with other stuff, but not so much faster that it's a game changer for me.

This iMac is due for replacement, so I'm waiting to see what Apple come up with in the next week or two (or three!).   It will probably be the last of the Intel line, but I would rather stick with that, than be a beta tester and run a lot of my software in an emulation mode, when they go ARM.