Can't start engine hot or cold

sdflyer

29 minutes ago, sdflyer said:

I'm using XP11.50 B16 I tried all know method from AIM but I engine wouldn't start.Any idea?

By the way experimental model on or off?

Experimental flight model turned on is good, but both work.

With the engine, make sure that the throttle is set to 1/4" on the Cirrus throttle. This could be a very tiny increment on most standard hardware throttles. Also be very very cautious to not overprime the engine, as flooding it makes the start much more difficult.

It seems to have any issue to start the engine, I've tried both cold star and hot start of course with "wear and failures" checked ON.

I'm still speechless how it feels so realistic, I mean it! Hope you'll find a way to make it work! The manual is extremely complete, same for the checklist... 3 hours so far in the air, I'm amazed!

Xplane 11.50 b16

Edited by LKN
  • Like 1

I seem to be in the same position, cannot start engine at all, regardless of settings. Also ran the battery down trying and the plugin "charge batteries" doesn't seem to do anything. I am dead in the water. Oh and VR is a whole other nightmare. Ignition key keeps flipping back to off so gave up on this.

2 hours ago, Pivot said:

I seem to be in the same position, cannot start engine at all, regardless of settings. Also ran the battery down trying and the plugin "charge batteries" doesn't seem to do anything. I am dead in the water. Oh and VR is a whole other nightmare. Ignition key keeps flipping back to off so gave up on this.

Here is a temporary improvement for the VR config, we will be integrating this + more in the 1.0.1 update.

Engine start, again, the main thing is to not flood the engine, the IO-550 is very (very very very) sensitive to flooding which makes it very difficult to start. Give it a second or two (3 max) of priming, then throttle to 1/4 inch, fuel pump to boost, mixture rich, and it starts like a charm (nearly) every time.

SR22_vrconfig.txt SR22TN_vrconfig.txt

9 minutes ago, sdflyer said:

Seems like all my CTD and engine problems goes away if I load default 172 first and then any version of SR22. I tested several time in a raw now

Thanks for letting me know - we are glad you are flying now. Hopefully we will have a fix for this pesky bug really soon!!

Another hint, that probably isn't realistic to the real plane, but play with the throttle while cranking.

My flow:

1. Full rich -> full throttle -> prime for 3 seconds.

2. Prime off -> throttle off.

3. Throttle to 1/4".

4. Key to start.

If it starts terrific! If not, throttle to zero slowly increasing while cranking until it starts. Generally it start up almost instantly in that case. Sometime I find I was either a bit too much on the throttle or not enough, but this seems repeatable.

4 hours ago, Coop said:

Here is a temporary improvement for the VR config, we will be integrating this + more in the 1.0.1 update.

Engine start, again, the main thing is to not flood the engine, the IO-550 is very (very very very) sensitive to flooding which makes it very difficult to start. Give it a second or two (3 max) of priming, then throttle to 1/4 inch, fuel pump to boost, mixture rich, and it starts like a charm (nearly) every time.

SR22_vrconfig.txt 3.26 kB · 4 downloads SR22TN_vrconfig.txt 3.39 kB · 5 downloads

Thank you Coop, these get us in the cockpit. Still seem to have an issue with the key in Start position, it locks in any of the others but not start. Had to 2D it to get her running. After that though all was fine. Have to agree with the other posts though, feels really strange to use up & down for throttle/mixture. Keep working on it though, you all are heading the right direction for sure..

8 hours ago, Pivot said:

I have also mentioned the ignition key issue in VR in another post as well. 

I've also reported the following issues in VR that they are looking into just in case you experience the same problems that I have:

1. Plane loads and I'm in the engine block and have to manually set the view, I think others have mentioned this. RESOLVED
  2. Try to do mixture rich but instead of doing a forward motion with my hand I have to do it up and down, but when I try to lean the mixture instead of doing the up and down motion I have to do a backwards forwards motion
  3. Same with the throttle.
  4. I cannot even select a fuel tank as the selector goes crazy uncontrollably flipping left and right. RESOLVED
  5. I can't even start the engine as ignition keep flipping to the left when I hold it to the right.
  6. Also crashes on startup sometimes.
  7. Hand break should also be forward to back motion not up down.

Edited by urbanspecies
  • Like 1

Hello,

My experience, in case that may help others.
I had big difficulties to start the engine also and after a few hundred attempts, I understand that I was introducing too much fuel with the throttle.
Now the engine start every time with fuel flow around 1.0 when engaging the starter.

Don't know if it's the same IRL, I can only guess so.