Reverse Scrolling HSI panel?

ktomais

Hey IXEG team, while I was setting up a flight yesterday I noticed that the map mode knob seems to be moving in reverse to my scrolling. I've made a small gif for it, I cannot show you my scrolling atm ofc but when you see it moving towards VOR/ILS I'm scrolling backwards, to go to plan you have to scroll forward. Could you confirm on your side? :wacko:

Plane version is latest, 1.32

This seems to happen in both CP and FO HSI panels. 

P.S. I looked around if anyone has reported something similar lately, it didn't seem so, hopefully didn't miss it. :rolleyes:

GIF 22-07-2020 09-44-11.gif

GIF 22-07-2020 09-55-31.gif

The idea here is to "increase" the value, you push your mousewheel up. And just like turning up the volume in your car, turning the knob to the right (towards PLAN) means "increasing" it. Just like on the range button. Turn left is decreasing, turn right is increasing.

It works that way on all the knobs in the whole cockpit - or did you mean something else?

Cheers, Jan

I think I understand what you mean, and I had not noticed that this happens to all the switches in the cockpit. Maybe due to alignment/positioning the effect goes unnoticed or as normal, I don't know. But this is what startled me in this case, maybe I always dragged it. I'll have to pay attention to that effect to the other switches to confirm. As in this case it's left to increase, right to decrease due to the knob moving counter-clockwise.

However, if that's the case (intended design) and we mean the same thing, it seems to me more ergonomic/expected from a scroll-wheel perspective, at least where the HSI panel is concerned, that when I scroll forwards the knob moves up and when scrolling backwards that it moves down. (i.e scroll forwards > FULL VOR, scroll backwards > plan).

The reverse is happening at the moment, it stands out when scrolling I guess because, the turn is counter-clockwise compared to the RANGE knob, which feels counter-intuitive to me at least :wacko:

Edited by ktomais

Well, knobs can´t move up or down, they are fixed on the rotational axis and can only rotate counterclockwise and clockwise.

The consensus so far is that "mouse up" increases the value and "mouse down" decreases the value represented by the knob. I know that in the case of the EHSI mode there is no real "increase or decrease", but we are going with "increase = clockwise" for commonality.

I think I understand what you are trying to say - if you see the "marker" on the side of a knob in the 3 o´clock position you would expect to push it "up" towards the 12 o´clock position. And if it is in the 9 o´clock position you would also expect to push it "up" to the 12 o´clock position...

Now what do you do when the marker is pointing straight up at the 12 o`clock position - and you want to move it to the 9 o´clock position? Do you "pull it down"? But what happens if it slides down "the wrong side" and now ends up at the 3 o`clock position? Do you hold your mouse sideways?

This isn´t going to work in any way that makes sense - I think that Apple does it that way - but there you go (I said "makes sense" :lol:).

And no, we aren´t even going to consider changing it or making an option, either ;).

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Like 1