Beechcraft Hawker 4000

Goran_M

Started on the main gear, made a main gear assembly, didn't like it, started it again, didn't like it, repeated the process 4 times and then went out to buy some KFC.  I almost forgot what the grass looked like!

Anyway, we'll see if we can get it going again.

Wingbox still needs a few little adjustments towards the rear

grab047h.th.jpg

grab048.th.jpg

Ok, I HAD to post this.

4 days total and 9 wingboxes before finding a method I'm happy with.  

This one looks to be the final wingbox and I HAD to show it after pulling my hair out and cussing every 3 minutes.

The curse of being a perfectionist, I guess.

Oh yes, this one wingbox took me 5 and a half hours.

grab049s.th.jpg

A small update to progress.

I've redone the nose again, tweaked the gear, completely reworked the engine nacelles (Photos show a straighter top edge when viewed from the side and more rounded overall shape).

I plan to tweak some things in the VC (lengthen the centre pedestal, adjust the shape of the parking brake, add more buttons to the centre pedestal)

Also, a payware developer has asked me to model a 3D cockpit for 1 of his payware aircraft.

I cannot divulge details on who it is or what aircraft yet, but I will have it modelled within the next 2 weeks and closer to completion I will let you all know the details on it.

Here's a bunch of new screenshots.

grab004y.th.jpg

grab003z.th.jpg

grab002a.th.jpg

grab001e.th.jpg

grab000o.th.jpg

grab005lhg.th.jpg

Goran

Nice work. Just one thing, on the back of the wingbox joining the fuse, there looks like there's a kermingle (No other word to explain it) of poly's that make it look unclean. Is that to be fixed?

-Jason

Nice work. Just one thing, on the back of the wingbox joining the fuse, there looks like there's a kermingle (No other word to explain it) of poly's that make it look unclean. Is that to be fixed?

-Jason

Good eyes.  I'm coming back to that in the next few days.  It's proving tricky to get rid of.  Should have seen it while I was making the wingbox.  90 minutes of the wingbox was spent on merging the front and back of it to the fuselage and making it look like part of the fuselage.

Current progress on the main gear minus the wheels.  (Which are completed)

The compressable strut is positioned vertically purely for ease of work on it.  Once it's completed, I'm rotating it to join the vertical strut that will be connected to the horizontal section of the gear arm.

Couldn't they make the gear like NORMAL aircraft???

The brake lines will be fixed. 

Have a look at how many vertices in that small section!! (Mostly the brake lines.)

grab006.th.jpg

A suggestion, if I may:

I have learned (the hard way) to go ahead and mark edges as you build the object. It saves a crap load of time. If you force yourself to do this, you will soon find yourself marking edges AS you build. Once you're in that mentality, renderbaking is VERY easy. You'll end up spending more time waiting for the dang thing to render than you will actually setting it up.

:) :)

90 minutes of the wingbox was spent on merging the front and back of it to the fuselage and making it look like part of the fuselage.

I think I have you beat. I spent 4 hours building a 787 wing box! I rebuilt it 3 times before it started looking anywhere close to the real thing. To add insult to injury Boeing is rebuilding their wing box! :-\

A suggestion, if I may:

I have learned (the hard way) to go ahead and mark edges as you build the object. It saves a crap load of time. If you force yourself to do this, you will soon find yourself marking edges AS you build. Once you're in that mentality, renderbaking is VERY easy. You'll end up spending more time waiting for the dang thing to render than you will actually setting it up.

Yes, but as you say, I have to force myself to do this.

:-\

I do it sometimes and then I just keep building and forget to continue marking edges.

And strangely enough, I COMPLETELY FORGET to do it after midnight.

I'm working on it though.

Anyway, in saying that, here's another screenshot of the main landing gear.  I've managed to cut down some of the vertices.   This took me the better part of a full day.  God Bless the Mirror and Duplicate functions!!

:)

grab008p.th.jpg

grab009g.th.jpg

Oh yeah, I know what the blackened parts are on the render.  Duplicate vertices have been taken care of.

:):D

90 minutes of the wingbox was spent on merging the front and back of it to the fuselage and making it look like part of the fuselage.

I think I have you beat. I spent 4 hours building a 787 wing box! I rebuilt it 3 times before it started looking anywhere close to the real thing. To add insult to injury Boeing is rebuilding their wing box! :-\

Yeah, but I have you beat in quantity.  I built 9 of them

Jason and anyone else who is interested.

I have discovered, by accident, the "Kermingle" of polys at the rear and front of the wingbox that joins on the fuselage is a "visual casualty" of the non rendered raw Blender model.

I was cutting out the windows for the fuselage and saw the same problem happened because of the boolean operation.  Boolean cutting creates an insane amount of vertices and polys around the edges of the cut that join it to the the nearest edge.  This appears to throw the poly alignment out of whack.  BUT, as I said, it is a visual casualty and after rendering the model, all appearances of distortion are gone.  Basically because there is no distortion in the rendered product.

Hope that makes sense.

Screenshot might help explain what I am talking about.

grab011.th.jpg

*sigh* I'm now on my 10th wingbox.

After spending about a day trying to get the squared section in the centre from a rounded fuselage and merging the square section to the rounded front and rear parts, I have decided to start the whole thing again using some of the techniques I have used in previous attempts.

Perfectionism.  It can be a curse.

I might have stumbled onto something with the wingbox.

I'll give it a go and see how it finishes up. 

Problem is, the more I try to merge it to the fuse, the more the photos show the wingbox to be a separate object just bolted on to the fuse.

Me too!!!

It's progressing quickly.  And because I don't work (I sold a business I had about 4 years ago) I can spend an insane amount of hours on it.  I pretty much wake up at 9am and work on it until 1 or 2 am.  But yes, I do take a few breaks during the day and having a daughter is another job for me.

I need a drink!

BTW, it's 130am.

And yes, the wingbox will be chamfered at a later date.  I'm just glad the wingbox nightmare is over! Clean lines, clean joins and no "kermingles" AND I did it with a boolean cut.  

;D

grab014.th.jpg

grab013.th.jpg

grab015.th.jpg

UPDATED:

Chamfered edges.

grab019n.th.jpg