Beechcraft Hawker 4000

Goran_M

After 2 or 3 days trying to model the wingbox, spending hours on each one (I made 6), I finally modelled it to the point where I consider it to be as close to perfect as possible!!  Keep in mind the real wingbox of a Hawker is a chamfered square where the wing inserts and elliptical/rounded towards the front and rear.  So it was just like fitting a square peg in a round hole and make it go through smoothly.  

I have to credit Javier and Nick for their input and their methods.  I took both sides techniques, combined them with mine and came up with my own method.  And I cannot believe how easy it turned out to be!!!

However, in saying this, I could not have modelled it to this point in this amount of time without their input, so full credit to them!!!  Without their input, it would have taken me a lot longer.

THANK YOU!!!

Now, the unveiling.

grab027.th.jpg

Thanks.  I'm pretty happy with how the wings turned out. I'm using a few little tricks that I kind of found through trial and error through making the other GA aircraft I made with Blender.  It was those little moments where I decided to fool around with a possible new technique and voila!!!  I discovered a way to model something.  The wingbox was a prime example. 

Goran

3 hours of work.  face plates for the glareshield, screws to screw them in, throttle levers, parking brake, gust lock and other small miscellaneous objects.  

Just the VC at this point has over 23000 vertices!!??

Also, I can't find it and neither can Javier, but how does one chamfer sharp edges and corners.  Blender doesnt seem to have it unless I use the knife cut tool and do it the long way.

Time for a break.

Goran

grab031.th.jpg

grab032.th.jpg

Ok... I have seen that x-plane can eat polygons very very good. My CRJ-200 is 40.000 polygons, and it gives me really good FPS. Even I saw the Yak-40 free new plane with new avionics systems.. and saw that it was 15 fps bellow the CRJ. That is because plugins, but not because polygons or textures.

So you can use a great amount of polys.

of course you have to use them well. This is still a "game" not a rendering software. So.. every corner you have there on the cockpit it would be interesting to make it a little bit chamfer on them. That would give the model a more realistic and "organic" looking.

going well. Wellcome to the hell of building planes in 3D. THE NIGHTMARE OF THE COCKPITS!!!! hahaha

No, it hasn't been baked yet.  I was just messing around with it.  I'm thinking of actually taking a day off this project.  I've been spending a ridiculous amount of hours working on it so I might just do some fun rendering stuff on it today.  That's what happens when you don't have a normal job.  Some parts of the cockpit are proving difficult to model and place in relation to other parts.  I spent the better part of last night modelling some side panels and trying to place them properly in relation to the glareshield and I failed miserably.  I think I lost a few hairs while spending 5 hours trying to do it.  So in the end, I deleted it and I'm going to try again maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.

Goran

Ok... I have seen that x-plane can eat polygons very very good. My CRJ-200 is 40.000 polygons, and it gives me really good FPS. Even I saw the Yak-40 free new plane with new avionics systems.. and saw that it was 15 fps bellow the CRJ. That is because plugins, but not because polygons or textures.

So you can use a great amount of polys.

of course you have to use them well. This is still a "game" not a rendering software. So.. every corner you have there on the cockpit it would be interesting to make it a little bit chamfer on them. That would give the model a more realistic and "organic" looking.

going well. Wellcome to the hell of building planes in 3D. THE NIGHTMARE OF THE COCKPITS!!!! hahaha

Javier, I think I found a way to chamfer in Blender. 

:(

Updates on a new look cockpit soon.

Goran

:( I got back into this after loosing my job, most of my weekends and nights are spent in Blender. You look to be getting use to it.

Only if we were paid by the hour for using Blender! $$$$$ ca ching?** wish**. Hobbies are time wasters. Blender fights boredom, I'm sitting here now plugging away at dials, spinners, dodads, and switches.

:( I got back into this after loosing my job, most of my weekends and nights are spent in Blender. You look to be getting use to it.

Only if we were paid by the hour for using Blender! $$$$$ ca ching?** wish**. Hobbies are time wasters. Blender fights boredom, I'm sitting here now plugging away at dials, spinners, dodads, and switches.

When I look at the VC I made and I see all those knobs, I think to myself, how easy does this look??  This should only take about an hour.  Only to find that it takes  hours and hours and hours and hours and...

All for just a bunch of knobs and dials!!!

And I just realized, I haven't fired up X Plane for about 3 weeks!!!

Not even to see the Blender version of the Hawker in action.

Yeah...welcome to the club man. I just booted up XP for the first time in a lonnng time. Mainly because ever since upgrading to v9, it just has too many issues, and I just don't wanna deal with it. Keep in mind, when it rains it pours...once testing time comes, it'll be bouncing between XP and PM for weeks. Really blows. Then you get to fly it...for about 20 minutes before you decide its time for the next project. The vc looks absolutely outstanding btw.