TerraMaxx & Vulkan.

RobH

OK so I got TerraMaxx a couple of hours ago. The problem I'm having is that it's just not working with X-Plane 11.50 B11 for me at least, as soon as I select what season I want and go to load it in then it just sits there with the loading new scenery message forever ( ok maybe not forever as that's a long time ) I let it sit like that for more than 15 minutes and nothing happens so I have to ctrl-alt-del and use task manager to quit X-Plane.

I did find a sort of work around which isn't ideal, if  I turn Vulkan off, load X-Plane using opengl, change the season and it loads the textures in around 20 seconds, then if I enable Vulkan and quit X-Plane then launch X-Plane again I have whatever season I set in opengl but with Vulkan enabled which is a royal pain as that means if I want to use another season I have to do all that again and of course the Auto option isn't an option if I use Vulkan as it just locks up at the loading season textures message.

This is an X-Plane install with no custom scenery or planes, no plugins other than TerraMaxx. I'm at a loss what to try next to get TerraMaxx working in Vulkan.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Edited by RobH

58 minutes ago, RobH said:

I did find a sort of work around which isn't ideal, if  I turn Vulkan off, load X-Plane using opengl, change the season and it loads the textures in around 20 seconds, then if I enable Vulkan and quit X-Plane then launch X-Plane again I have whatever season I set in opengl

Thanks for that datapoint. @sundog ?

When you load scenery for the first time under Vulkan, X-Plane undertakes a lengthy process to compile shaders for it. You end up taking that hit when you switch seasons, at least for the first time.

15 minutes sounds excessive however, and this sounds like it may be a bug in the X-Plane Vulkan beta. We are using X-Plane's API's for reloading scenery (XPLMReloadScenery) and my guess is that it doesn't work as expected under Vulkan. I'll file a bug report with Laminar about it.

For now, you should stick with OpenGL with TerraMaxx or use the workaround you identified.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...