Removed commands and datarefs

0zz

I just had the chance to try the 1.1 update and I noticed most of the on/off commands that control switches are removed, leaving only toggle ones.

It is quite frustrating to bind toggle commands to on/off switches on controllers/panels, as they are not persistent with the state of the switch. Normally I wouldn't mind if switches can also be driven by changing dataref values. But those seems like they turned into read only, or something overwrites the changes. When I try to change the value of the switch state, it resets back.

Is it because I installed the beta version of Gizmo plugin? Or they were intentionally coded that way in the latest update?

What was the reason for such simplification and restriction?

I always add a match button positions code to my control profiles, so after aircraft is loaded, the switch positions are altered to match the state of the buttons on my controllers. But with only using toggle commands, and restricted access to datarefs, that is a quite frustrating task to do.

Is it possible to add those on/off commands back along with toggle commands? Or at the very least allow us to manipulate the datarefs?

That way simmers who use momentary buttons or keyboard can still use toggles if they like. While home cockpit or panel users with on/off switches such as myself, can be able to bind their controllers properly.

Thanks for the info Coop.

I use dataref tool to sniff the custom datarefs, and create dataref.txt command.txt files which are needed for interfacing addon specific commands.

However I can't see the previously visible on/off commands. Is there a way to access those? 

Hey Cole. In the previous version I was using commands like bat_on, bat_off to switch battery on and off. In this version I can only see/access battery toggle command which is not ideal to use with on/off switches on panels. The switch state won't be persistent, unless I also add conditions, and match code I use will be more tricky. It is the same case with every other on/off switch. When I check the commands and datarefs via dataref tool, I don't see those previous commands there either.

Question is, what am I missing here? How can I access those commands again? Is it simply a matter of adding those lines to dataref.txt and command.txt? If so I'll need a full list, as the dataref tool, which is my go to tool to sniff the custom commands and create text files, is not seeing the commands hidden in this version.

I hope this makes sense 

Edited by 0zz

Nevermind guys. Problem was dataref tool does not see the hidden commands. And since the earlier version of commands.txt and datarefs.txt was deleted by the 1.1 installation, newly generated lists don't have the previously visible commands and datarefs.

I rolled back the installation, compiled the lists again in version 1.0 where that commands were visible in sim. Got a backup of those, and installed 1.1 again. My control profile is working again.

The only question remains is that, is there any other way than dataref tool, that I can use to gather the datarefs and commands, even if they are hidden in sim?

I found that not all afm/islander/commands are not visible. For example, in DataRefs you can see many commands with the _Toggle suffix. By experimenting I found you could replace the suffix with _On and _Off to achieve what I needed (note these are case sensitive).

Edited by scotfleiger