Saitek Switch Panel

daan_vb

I have the switch panel and the radio panel.

The switch panel doesn't work yet but I'm not sure how much of it I'd want to be working.  I find the magnetos, lights, pitot heat etc. quite easy to get to in the Islander (especially on a/p obviously) and as I've only got one switch panel then I'd have to compromise on the functionality of magnetos, landing lights etc. anyway.

The radio panel seems to work nicely though.  Again, I haven't used it much yet but so far I've found that the LED displays light up once I start tuning it and that I can update the tuned frequencies.  As the frequencies on the GPS can be hard to tune (and even to see unless you're zoomed in), I'm quite happy about this :)

I am working on a XSaitekPanels configuration to work with the BN-2 Islander. I have some Switch Panel switches working (Battery, Fuel Pumps) but not all commands are visible in the DataRefs tool. I am having to experiment/guess by trial and error. Many of the datarefs do not appear to be writable. Work continues. Watch this space.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, daan_vb said:

I’m thinking of buying a Saitek Switch Panel, just wondering if anyone is using it successfully with the islander?

All Saitek/Logitech panels work perfectly using Spad Next replacement drivers. 

It handles all the integration outside the sim, so you wont be effected by any sim related binding issues, conflicts etc..

Initial configuration and sniffing datarefs can be a bit overwhelming first time you are using it. But the flexibility well worths it.

It has 14 day trial version. Feel free to reach out if you want to give it a go. I can guide you in more detail with the configuration.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:18 AM, 0zz said:

All Saitek/Logitech panels work perfectly using Spad Next replacement drivers. 

It handles all the integration outside the sim, so you wont be effected by any sim related binding issues, conflicts etc..

Initial configuration and sniffing datarefs can be a bit overwhelming first time you are using it. But the flexibility well worths it.

It has 14 day trial version. Feel free to reach out if you want to give it a go. I can guide you in more detail with the configuration.

Hi Ozz, I just bought Spad Next and I am struggling with custom datarefs. I created a txt. file using the datarefs tool. I renamed it datarefs.txt and put it in the main Toquesim Islander folder. However I cannot work out how to view and assign them in SPAD. I can see all the standard XP commands but nothing else. I feel I am missing something? 

After you saved the datarefs.txt and commands.txt, you need to restart the Xplane, and load a flight with bn-2 in order to activate the custom datarefs and commands. Check spad.next window for connection status. After that you'll be able to see the custom ones in the list as well. Keep in mind, custom ones will only be visible when sim is running and aircraft is loaded.

Some of the bn-2 switches are controlled by generic switch datarefs. Those may be elusive to find, as dataref editor does not show those command groups separately. In such a case try using data monitor of spad next. You can load as much datarefs as possible and monitor those in realtime. I can compile a quick device profile for you if you like. Just let me know which functions you want the switch panel buttons assigned. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 0zz said:

After you saved the datarefs.txt and commands.txt, you need to restart the Xplane, and load a flight with bn-2 in order to activate the custom datarefs and commands. Check spad.next window for connection status. After that you'll be able to see the custom ones in the list as well. Keep in mind, custom ones will only be visible when sim is running and aircraft is loaded.

Some of the bn-2 switches are controlled by generic switch datarefs. Those may be elusive to find, as dataref editor does not show those command groups separately. In such a case try using data monitor of spad next. You can load as much datarefs as possible and monitor those in realtime. I can compile a quick device profile for you if you like. Just let me know which functions you want the switch panel buttons assigned. 

Thank you...I will have another go tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. I will let you know how I go. 

2 hours ago, scotfleiger said:

@oZZthe one I have not been able to find is the command to control the Panel Light knob (behind the yoke). 

There is no command (simulation event) for manipulating that knob. But you can control it by changing the value of the dataref below;

afm/islander/f/knobs/cockpitLight

Set it between 0 (min) and 1 (max) values

4 hours ago, 0zz said:

There is no command (simulation event) for manipulating that knob. But you can control it by changing the value of the dataref below;

afm/islander/f/knobs/cockpitLight

Set it between 0 (min) and 1 (max) values

There is a commands.lua floating around somewhere with commands to manipulate the two knobs, light and the ammeter. If you can't find it just ping me, then I'll search for you

Im good thanks Cole. What I meant was, there is no defined simulation event, like 'turn knob clockwise' but it can be controlled by changing the variable.

It is possible to do it with lua scripting, defining a command that exactly does that. But interface I use is quite flexible anyways, I can use simulation events, change dataref variables, or simply send keystrokes. No need to run an extra script.