No more clouds with SMP in 11.50b11

JvS68

Hi team,

purchased SMP earlier this week. Upon 1st install it was working fine in 11.50b11 but since a few days now I am unable to see any clouds when using Vulkan (in OpenGL they do show up). I uninstalled/reinstalled SMP, uninstalled/reinstalled X-Plane even but to no avail.

I attach 2 screenshots, one is looking straight ahead (C172 @ LOWW) and one when I pan the camera upwards. In the 2nd screenshot you can see that the clouds are actually there as they show up very blocky. I tried various different settings but have not been able to get the clouds to return to normal (agin in OpenGL they are there).

Any help you can provide would be most welcome.

Best regards,

Johan

SMP Vulkan problems - 1.jpg

SMP Vulkan problems - 2.jpg

Hi Frank,

I am on the latest (Radeon 5700XT) drivers. Today I wiped X-plane completely clean, so not just the Steam uninstall and then install because that seems to leave some remnant files behind but did an uninstall and removed all that was left behind. Happy to say the SMP clouds are now back in Vulkan, so looks like some files got corrupted?

I'm experiencing some horrendous crashes with 11.50 every now and then, like in PC just rebooting spontaneously, I think that may have caused the corruption on an earlier occasion.

Hope it doesn't happen again, thanks for your help anyway.

Johan

Edit: Ignore what I said here, the problem actually persists but now I can reproduce when it occurs.

After the re-install I had Anti-Aliasing turned off in X-Plane and then the clouds worked fine. I just turned AA on (tried 2x and 4x) and poof....Clouds are gone. Turned AA off and their back. I don't see anything in particular in the log.txt file.

My Specs:

MB: Asrock X570 STEEL LEGEND
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse (8GB VRAM)

Nothing overclocked.

Happy to help in any way I can...

Johan

Log.txt

Edited by JvS68
Added log.txt file

Oh, this sounds like a known driver bug with AMD and Vulkan that Laminar told me about. It is specific to anti-aliasing. Until AMD fixes their drivers, you'll have to run with AA off if you also want to use Vulkan with add-ons that do 3D drawing (such as ours)

Edited by sundog