TBM 900 - ILS Localizer has dissapeared.

Rob Laird

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I bought the TBM a couple of days ago. It's been a while since I wanted to try this aircraft, and after reading all the amazing reviews I finally got it.

But, honestly, I'm somewhat disappointed, the official page says it's Vulkan compatible (hence 11.50 compatible) and I found that the ILS LOC doesn't work, the AoA HUD also doesn't work, I have stutters even in a completely fresh/plugins free x-plane 11.50 installation.

Set aside the stutters (although other users have reported this problem) I couldn't find an official post warning about these issues with the TBM running on X-Plane 11.50 Vulkan. IMHO the product page should have a notice warning us users about this.

Regard, Diego

38 minutes ago, diegodc said:

Set aside the stutters (although other users have reported this problem) I couldn't find an official post warning about these issues with the TBM running on X-Plane 11.50 Vulkan. IMHO the product page should have a notice warning us users about this.

Thanks for your concern. A patch is in the works.

Well said by diegodc. I have been flying the plane for the last few days and tell you one thing. The module has great potential from one hand and many things that keep me away from flying it at the same time. I do really like the way I have to keep a eye when spooling the engine up by watching for NG, ITT, 30sek. 50 sec… It is fun to motor the engine before starting it when it’s hot. Handling is ok. like for this kind of module, but using the trim is a nightmare. Slight correction when using the trim can easily make the approach unstable. I really like the way it works with default KingAir 90. Now, using the throttles. There is 1/3 of my throttles movement unavailable, as it’s “blocked” for Taxi and Reverse, so only small gentle movements of the throttles during approach is recommended! Finally, the Garmin. Please do something with “Direct to”. In many cases when given instructions from ATC to proceed to some fix, and is selected from the flight plan, the plane flies to…I don’t know where it flies to be honest. Oh, about the stutters. I fly in VR. I made comparison with King Air 350 with HDR enabled, settings were set on medium. There was no single stutter observed when flying KA350 over Warsaw (EPWA) around 2000LT while flying the TBM was almost impossible.

Just my first impressions flying the Hot Start TBM.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Andhefly70 said:

Ive subscribed to Navigraph, installed the data for Xplane 11 (Im running Xplane 11.5) and theres no change. Still no localiser.

Please what am I doing wrong??

Make sure you have installed the navdata for X-Plane 11.00.  NOT X-Plane 11.50.  Double check the version numbers.

1 hour ago, Andhefly70 said:

Now I have uninstalled X-Plane and gone bcak to the original download version. Reinstalled everything and getting airfoil corrupt messages?

Thisis becoming a major pain in the rear. What am I doing wrong?

The TBM uses all but 2 airfoils that are included with the original X-Plane install.  The TBM comes with 2 custom airfoils, that are included in the installer download.  Have you updated X-Plane to the latest version?

36 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Make sure you have installed the navdata for X-Plane 11.00.  NOT X-Plane 11.50.  Double check the version numbers.

The TBM uses all but 2 airfoils that are included with the original X-Plane install.  The TBM comes with 2 custom airfoils, that are included in the installer download.  Have you updated X-Plane to the latest version?

No I havent updated X-Plane to the latest version. Im tying to get the LOC to work in the TBM. Other aircraft showed an update nav data version (checked by looking at STAR versions in the FMC but the TBM still showed old STAR versions)

Yes i installed the Navidata for X-Plane 11 with Xplane still at the latest version and nothing changed in the TBM, still no LOC, hence why I went back to the default install version 11.05 I think it is. I reinstalled the NAV data for X-Plane 11 and it has updated again but getting the airfoil crash messages. There doesnt seem to be an option to only update to X-Plane 11.4, it wanted to go to 11.5r3 I think it said. Do I need to do that to get the TBM to work and stay with the X-Plane 11 nav data?

Below is the message shown on loading the TBM in X-Plane 11.05

An airfoil file is too old or corrupted! The airfoil path I checked is listed below!

Aircraft/X-Aviation/TBM-900/airfoils/TBM root.afl

Get that foil updated if you want to fly!

Edited by Andhefly70
add error message

If you can somehow get the airfoils from 11.4x into the install of X-Plane you have, it may work, but it's unlikely the TBM will work in an install that early.  

Hopefully we can get this rain bug sorted out in X-Plane Vulkan/Metal, and the update will be out soon after.

Ok so thats worked, can now use the TBM and fly the ILS, however the 2 bearing indicators on the PFD dont work now ? I can select them but no needles appear. Unless for some strange reason these dont arm when the LOC is armed? Seems strange as very handy to have to indicate when approaching the inbound course to judge the intercept.

I hope you get these bugs sorted out as like may, I love this aeroplane. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

Well, Navigraph has now abandoned the old X-Plane 11.40 AIRAC format, beginning with AIRAC 2012 rev1.

Only the new XP 11.50 AIRAC format is now available for update. Hence, many TBMs just got bricked. 

Hopefully it is fixed soon. It has been 5 months since this problem was reported, and 2 months since XP 11.5 came out of beta.

1 hour ago, Andhefly70 said:

Ive put the TBM in the hangar! Finding it hard to understand why this hasnt been fixed yet!! 

Because there is more to the update than just the ILS fix.  The rain effects are still being worked on for the Windows version.  Not to mention the various other issues that have been/are being addressed.

Edited by Goran_M

10 hours ago, Tom Dale said:

Is there a workaround for this given the new AIRAC cycle? I have Navigraph and installing the latest data doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue, but I’m hoping I just did something wrong. 

Can you confirm the ILS localizer has disappeared completely from every airport, or selected airports?

I do like the TBM900 (like to own one!) but there are a few fixes it needs. Yes the localiser issue should be fixed after 4 months, but I would like the cockpit better lit. Scrolling around  and zooming right in to find the vertical speed wheel and those tiny autopilot buttons is such an annoyance. That whole overhead panel needs some lighting work. 

These companies have no issue in taking the money, with that comes the responsibility of fixing bugs and asked for improvements. (does any one else find it hard to land without bouncing??)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cyclic said:

I do like the TBM900 (like to own one!) but there are a few fixes it needs. Yes the localiser issue should be fixed after 4 months, but I would like the cockpit better lit. Scrolling around  and zooming right in to find the vertical speed wheel and those tiny autopilot buttons is such an annoyance. That whole overhead panel needs some lighting work. 

These companies have no issue in taking the money, with that comes the responsibility of fixing bugs and asked for improvements. (does any one else find it hard to land without bouncing??)

I've responded to these issues, countless times.  I'm not going to respond to them again.  Especially with an attitude like yours.  Use the search function.  Change the attitude, and you may get a more pleasant and courteous reply.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

I've responded to these issues, countless times.  I'm not going to respond to them again.  Especially with an attitude like yours.  Use the search function.  Change the attitude, and you may get a more pleasant and courteous reply.

Goran, I've been flying the HotStart TBM for ages now and she's a beast!! I can confirm that of the 5 airports I've visited in the last 24Hrs (TBM was parked for a while) there was no Localiser for any ILS. Xplane version 11.50 Navigraph Data 2012. I've got a few hundred hours in your TBM and I'd be very happy to help with beta testing any updates. Keep up the great work guys and yes some of us here understand just how long updates can take especially on an ever evolving platform.

• Upvote 1