A New Cloud Type?

oldflyguy

I was pleased to hear about the improved integration between SMP/RWC and ASXP as I've been using this combo since release.  I've made a few test flights since downloading the latest ASXP beta and found a new strange (to me) cloud type that is very annoying.  I'm naming it "scud".  It's usually there along with some cumulus type and looks kind of like a dust storm among the clouds.  My descriptive skills being what they are I've taken a couple of screen shots.  The "scud" seemed to have lost some color in the transfer to jpeg format.  They actually have some level of pinkish hue to them.  Curious if anyone else has seen this "new" type.  I was "flying" in and around TN and AL earlier today although I first noticed this yesterday afternoon.

sr22 - 2020-06-13 1.26.40 PM.jpg

sr22 - 2020-06-13 1.27.27 PM.jpg

Edited by oldflyguy

Looks to me like a layer of broken cumulus clouds, possibly in the distance as they appear faded out. Or ASXP might be specifying that you're still inside some haze causing the clouds farther away to look a bit soft.

They do look a little too dark. I'm not sure if that's due to the time of day, but if it's early morning or early evening that might be what's going on. The cloud lighting became more complex in SMP 4.9.3. If these clouds are backlit by the sun that might explain why they are darker than expected.

Edited by sundog

Hi, Can we get some explanation regarding the new ASXP beta?

Here is what's the patch notes say regarding integration with SMP:

• Added new SkyMaxx Pro depiction mode which enables new SMP integration reducing cloud layer limit and supplying new cloud layer type data
  • Now compatible and integrated with SkyMaxx Pro with Real Weather Connector

What does it change for us, do we need to change something in the RWC or SMP settings?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, sundog said:

Looks to me like a layer of broken cumulus clouds, possibly in the distance as they appear faded out

Hi @sundog!  After further investigation ASXP is reporting them as Stratus type under the "current conditions" tab.  I did not capture them in the screenshots but there are actually "normal" cumulus type clouds mixed in with the "scud" here and there as the actual METAR (ASXP) was reporting "few" (cumulus).  I will provide additional shots as I investigate further.  I don't see much difference with the updated ASXP but I've only had a few hours with it.

I did some additional flying this morning aroung SLC - the only place I could find the cloud layers I wanted to explore.  I've attached some screen shots.  There was a cumulus layer (few) from about 8000 to 17000.  I took the Turbo Arrow up since it's slow enough to get a good look around yet actually get up that high (with O2).  By the way, the layer altitudes were right on - good work MAXX!  So, it seems that the layer at the current aircraft altitude is drawn properly but anything above that altitude has the gray "scud" look to it.  These are just my observations - I know zip about the technical end of things.  Also, the frame impact is quite acceptable even with "extended" (@75%) cloud drawing.  Again, good work.  Looking forward to further improvements as XP gets closer to a stable .50.  Although, it's been quite stable for me...

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2020-06-14 10.17.41 AM.jpg

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2020-06-14 10.18.52 AM.jpg

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2020-06-14 10.19.12 AM.jpg

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2020-06-14 10.21.03 AM.jpg

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2020-06-14 10.26.04 AM.jpg

• Like 1

@oldflyguy - I wonder if it's stratus with a coverage set of less than 100%. That might explain why it's being represented that way. For example, if we were passed "BKN" with "ST" we would actually interpret that as a broken stratocumulus layer, since it's sort of odd for Stratus to be anything other than overcast (OVC).

@thomascats1 - here's an exerpt from the revised RWC manual we've handed off to X-Aviation for distribution describing how the ASXP integration works; you want the "External Injector" option in RWC.

FSGRW / ASXP / External Injector

Use this setting if you are using an external weather injector that overwrites X-Plane’s METAR.rwx file, yet disables “real world weather” mode in X-Plane. FSGRW and Active Sky XP are examples, and similar future products may work the same way.

In this mode, RWC will always read the METAR.rwx file in X-Plane to generate its clouds, even when “grab real weather from the net” is disabled in X-Plane. It will not attempt to download and use its own METAR data, unlike “Always” mode, and depends on an external add-on to keep the METAR.rwx file up to date. RWC will check for changes in METAR.rwx once per minute, and apply them as appropriate.

When using FSGRW, you may wish to disable “Never Change Visible Weather” to ensure that the initial set of weather updates it produces at the beginning of your flight are picked up.

When using Active Sky XP, be sure to configure X-Plane as described in the ASXP documentation. In the ASXP application, under Options / Simulator Depiction options, you should find a “Use SkyMaxx Pro depiction mode” option in recent versions of ASXP. Be sure this is enabled. Weather in X-Plane should be set to “from custom METAR (rwx) file” pointing to the METAR.rwx file, not “match real world conditions,” when using ASXP. You should not use ASXP’s “global static” mode with SkyMaxx Pro.