Now the Mu2 is finished. Is there some room for some improvements of the Falco ?

The update to Falco for 64bit gizmo is about 98% done.    As mentioned elsewhere though, I am using it to develop some custom sound code so it will be a few weeks yet.   The update will basically be a conversion to 64-bit with the addition of a few custom sounds and a bit more accurate systems....though the systems are hardly complicated.  Every fuse will be functional though and the avionics stack will be accurate with each unit powered individually or by the avionics switch.  The GTX330 has a magnetic power switch so if you cycle the avionics switch, then you have to turn on the transponder again.  All the other units have hard switches so they'll come on to wherever the switches are set to when they receive power.  The GTX330 transponder has been made to be fully featured as the real one and the GMA audio panel has been made to work accurately also though x-plane has no real COM abilities so most of the modes are worthless...though you can activate the audible navs/adfs.  

Here's a video that shows a quick startup with a custom gyro and avionics sound (though not the final sounds to be used), tied into the bus load so under heavy loads (really only the starter), they take a slight voltage hit and you can hear the rpms of the gyro drop a bit.

TomK

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Really nice

As a suggestion :

I recently bought the super realistic Reality XP GNS 530 Garmin GPS, because it's great and Nils ( BK-117 ) did release a 3D upgrade to fit that 2D GPS into 3D cockpit with working buttons etc.

I hardly see when you will find the place on this busy panel to include the 3D obj. for the Reality XP owner, but that would surely add a great interest in long navs, and IFR flight.

Have a nice week end

I recently bought the super realistic Reality XP GNS 530 Garmin GPS, because it's great and Nils ( BK-117 ) did release a 3D upgrade to fit that 2D GPS into 3D cockpit with working buttons etc.

I hardly see when you will find the place on this busy panel to include the 3D obj. for the Reality XP owner, but that would surely add a great interest in long navs, and IFR flight.

Not likely to happen at all. As we transition to 64-bit, 32-bit support is left behind. RealityXP, to my knowledge, is not even supported in such a scenario.

• 3 months later...

The update to Falco for 64bit gizmo is about 98% done.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, and I know you have been quite busy lately with other projects...

...might there be any news on the 64-bit update to the Falco?   :unsure:  

Naturally, I'll wait for as long as it takes, it just happens to be my all-time favorite homebuilt.

Just lookin' for a small scrap of hope...   :)

yea...really sorry about that.  I was definitely way far along....then ended up chasing a small rabbit that lead me further than I wanted to on this one.  Particularly the sound engine that started with a simple gyro sound and ended up turning into extremeSound3D....and also I'm improving the nav/com radios to be more like the real thing.  The radio work is still outstanding and I let the 737 and laminar work stay on the priority list as I have to pay bills.  Its simply a matter of a full plate.  I promise the update will get done and it will be nice...hopefully get a proper paint kit out along with the update too.  

TomK

• Upvote 1

well the Falco is "working again".  Since Gizmo 13 came out, I've been implementing all sorts of new code framework from the Moo update,  my 737 experience and the sound engine and the Falco was mostly done with "old frameworks".   I've since incorporated all my new stuff into the Falco tonight and everything that is supposed to work works.  I still have a few more systems to implement using the new code though and I'll squeeze that in when I can.  The systems on this one are a bit more refined than the previous version....the GMA buttons are accurate in their operation and I THINK all the breakers work, controlling their respective equipment as expected.  A few new sounds for the update, but not as many as I'll put in a future version.  This too will be the end of the road for a free update to the Falco. 

TomK

Thanks for the news.

I agree: Free or not, the Falco will always be a favorite in my hangar.

Years after the very first release, your Falco is not outdated.

It is a versatile and wonderfull GA aircraft. In fact i only bought the Falco and the C400 to populate my GA hangar.

No need more to practise VFR/IFR. And the falco is eye candy..

A nice refresh will boost the interest for this file.

Claude.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

My sincere apologies for the necropost but it's been over 4 years since the 64-bit version of the Falco has been "98%" finished...

I understand fully how busy you all have been with other projects.  Shall I still hold on to my shred of hope this will ever see completion?  Or is finally letting it go my only option at this time?  As I mentioned before, I have fond personal experience in the RL Falco.  Unfortunately, it is unlikely I'll ever pass an FAA medical again, so an X-Plane model of the caliber I would expect from you guys would allow me to at least fly this bird on my desktop.

My sincere apologies for the necropost but it's been over 4 years since the 64-bit version of the Falco has been "98%" finished...

I understand fully how busy you all have been with other projects.  Shall I still hold on to my shred of hope this will ever see completion?  Or is finally letting it go my only option at this time?  As I mentioned before, I have fond personal experience in the RL Falco.  Unfortunately, it is unlikely I'll ever pass an FAA medical again, so an X-Plane model of the caliber I would expect from you guys would allow me to at least fly this bird on my desktop.

This definitely took a back seat, but I can't see it staying that way. Tom and I both are very fond of the Falco, and even though it wasn't anywhere near a big seller like other aircraft, we're still very keen to keep it alive. :)

• 1 month later...

I think I'll probably use the Falco as a "transition" into V11 workflow development.  Blender 2.49, my traditional tool of choice, is finally falling far enough behind that I need to move to the latest version and with that, the script initiative started by Mr. Dan Klaue and developed by the Ondrej/Laminar consortium.   There is a learning curve associated with it and the Falco is a perfect project size to help me through it.

-tkyler

• Upvote 1