Gizmo64 v20.06.08.0325 beta

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, Ben Russell said:

Gizmo64 v20.06.08.0325 beta is now available.

Compatible with X-Plane 11+. Does not work with X-Plane 10.

Mac and Windows only. No Linux support.

I believe that I'm totally confused about Gizmo64.

I am a Linux-only user and I would like to buy X-Aviation planes but they are not available for my OS because of Gizmo.
Infact here is clearly stated that there is 'No Linux support'.

But then, if you download thae file, you read this:
 image.png.0eb559e66ff181a6d8657fe4a0682e25.png

So in the package there is a Linux version but post says that there is no "Linux support".

I clearly remember, back in the old days, that Mr. Ben Russell stated that the primary development platform for Gizmo was Linux.
But, we all know that there is no major difference between Mac an Linux version, as the are both Unix systems.
I tried to contact Mr. Russell via private message to offer my help for the Linux support, but he was probably too busy to answer.

So... well, I'm very confused.
Although Linux is a very small percentage of the market, if Gizmo can be available for Linux I guess it would be good for X-Aviation and also for the community (Linux users tent to be developers). May be not, I don't know.
But really confuses me is the fact that, apparenty, there is a Linux version of Gizmo.

Uhmmm.... 

Edited by CaptainSpaulding

Internal code is mostly compatible and mostly kept up to date with regards to functionality.

Third party libs and api functionality considers all three platforms.

No current and working Linux plugin is built or tested. Nor has it been for the past few years.

It's true, there was support for a short and experimental time. There were issues. They've been recorded.

Thanks for your offer of help.

59 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

No current and working Linux plugin is built or tested.

Sorry, Ben, I don't want to insist in any way, I'm just trying to understand.

It is clear, from this sentence, that there is "no current and working Linux plugin" but, at the same time, in the release `Gizmo64.plugin-20.06.08.0325-beta2` there is a lin_x64 built.
That's why I'm confused, because to me it looks like Schrödinger's cat: it exists while, at the same time, doesn't exists.

So the build I see here is not good, it's just a sort of placeholder?
Something like that?

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 15.24.21 293x383.png

11 hours ago, CaptainSpaulding said:

Sorry, Ben, I don't want to insist in any way, I'm just trying to understand.

It is clear, from this sentence, that there is "no current and working Linux plugin" but, at the same time, in the release `Gizmo64.plugin-20.06.08.0325-beta2` there is a lin_x64 built.
That's why I'm confused, because to me it looks like Schrödinger's cat: it exists while, at the same time, doesn't exists.

So the build I see here is not good, it's just a sort of placeholder?
Something like that?

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 15.24.21 293x383.png

The file inside is a random-contents binary place holder.

On Linux x-plane should report it as an invalid dylib that it can't load and then continue on as normal.

The linux.xpl file itself is date stamped Feb 25th 2018, almost three years ago.

This thread is the first mention of this dummy file being noticed in that time.

9 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

This thread is the first mention of this dummy file being noticed in that time.

I've always check Gizmo in the hope for a Linux version, because I would like some day to buy X-Aviation's planes.
I had to stop flightsimming for personal reasons from 2014 to 2020, that's why you didn't had me noticing it before.

When I had to leave XP's world in 2014, Gizmo was the most interesting solution out there.
That's why I'm still interested in it, even if I'm cut off from it (I am a Linux-only user).

Best,
Cap.S.

Edited by CaptainSpaulding
  • Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, CaptainSpaulding said:

I've always check Gizmo in the hope for a Linux version, because I would like some day to buy X-Aviation's planes.
I had to stop flightsimming for personal reasons from 2014 to 2020, that's why you didn't had me noticing it before.

When I had to leave XP's world in 2014, Gizmo was the most interesting solution out there.
That's why I'm still interested in it, even if I'm cut off from it (I am a Linux-only user).

Best,
Cap.S.

Oh well, you bet I noticed this file and I tried countless time to investigate, this is the file causing the famous invalid ELF error :-)

When I saw the BN-2 Islander in the Turbine version being released for Linux, I believe it was living a dream, but no, I was mistaken :-) 

Edited by XPJavelin