A couple of Visual things

joni80

Hi, 

First off all I would like to thank you for fixing all the issues with 1.3 so quickly :). During my first "inspection" of 1.31 I've found a couple of things that might be and issue:

1. In the Turnaround and Ready to Fly state the Nav Lights are in the off position

2. There's a UV map? problem on the Cockpit Door knob, this seems to be on all sides of the plate that I've circled:

541695811_B733-2020-06-0620_50.4.thumb.png.e2402f60ee446d64ca9a5ab9718d6d6c.png

3. I stand to be corrected on this one, yet on the Digital Guages when spooling up reverse thrust to full, the carots and Numbers on the Fuel flow indicator jitter around at about 4000Kgs/hr, Yet when spooling up forward thrust this doesn't happen.

For visualization here I have made Gifs of both, first the Reverse Thrust spooling: https://gyazo.com/dec11b81399afa606012dad88f05e7f0

The Forward Thrust spooling: https://gyazo.com/4ca990f5365fad01540600a8eb090f7a

Edited by joni80

Hi Joni,

thanks for keeping us on our toes!

1.) The Nav lights are off on purpose. You would only turn them on at night or in bad visibility, thats why I chose to leave them off. I am open to debate, though ;-)

2.) I can confirm the UV map problem on the upper and lower side of that plate. Thanks!

3.) The reverse thrust is limited in N1 - so the fuel flow is throttled at about 3000kg/h. This is the same in the real aircraft. The "jitter" you see is our code artificially limiting the fuel flow, it is a bit more elegant in the real plane. Although I must say that I rarely looked at the fuel flow when using reverse thrust in the real aircraft.

Cheers, Jan

Thanks for the fast answer, and I guess as for the nav light that it was my assumption until now, yet I can live with that if it now as it comes from a real world pilot. Also I don't think the Fuel Flow meter jittering a bit, is too tragic as I found it being present in the older versions and I never noticed it. Must have something to do with having too much time focusing on minor things right now :P

• Like 1

Sorry for the hijack, I often wonder about the turn around state.  Is the overhead exactly as you would have left it according to your company SOP Jan?  I often see just 1 fuel pump left on to feed the APU, and the engine bleeds off during turnaround.  Of course, these are from various youtube video's, just wondering out of curiosity. 

Yep, this is how we did it. The fuel pump for APU was not really a requirement, although some technicians used to do that. The APU ran fine without it.

Engine bleeds were not touched all day. Too dangerous to forget them on subsequent takeoff.

Cheers, Jan

Good to know, then I won't bother changing it!  And while you are still awake, maybe more of a procedure topic....

Did you move the rotary switch for AC to show the power output from the sources, the switch is just above the galley power on / off.  I move it to APU power or Ground power before switching to that source, but often see it's just left in one position in real life.

Also, in the air con panel, bottom right of the overhead, do you toggle the switch between FLT and GRD during each flight, I also don't see this being used much and wonder if it's just left in one position (located just under the cabin alt setting).

Cheers

We used the rotary AC meter switch after engine start to check the generators for nominal output. But that was it.

Yes, the FLT/GRD switch was always used - to FLT after engine start and to GRD after leaving the runway. Pretty important, too, for various reasons (like slightly pressurizing the aircraft before takeoff and depressurizing it after landing to enable opening of the doors).

Cheers, Jan

I use the FLT GRD switch every flight, I did forget once and got cab alt alarms bells. I’m pretty sure it’s not on many checklist so perhaps a memory item?  I just wonder at what point is the switch set to FLT ( after engine gen come on), and back to GRD after vacating the RW?   Cheers

You would turn the switch to FLT as part of the "After start flow". If you forget it is not a huge deal, because the pressurization switches to FLT automatically as you lift off. You would just get an uncomfortable "pressure bump" during rotation, as the airstream rams into the (wide open) outflow valve. If the switch is in FLT, the outflow valve is mostly closed (to maintain the slight pressurization), so that this bump is avoided (passenger comfort). You would also notice the cockpit windows "rattle" during take-off run (this is not simulated ;-)).

After landing, the Captain calls for the "after landing intems" when the runway is vacated. The FO does the flow, putting this switch to GRD is part of it.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1