No Speed Indicator

D-ETSN

• 2 months later...

Hi Jan, and D-ETSN. This just happened to me. Both (cpt and FO) speed indicators' white and red needles moved to zero, in my case, after 45knots, and no speed indication on the EADI(?) either. It doesn't look like a bug, though. I thought it was some normal malfunction. I took off anyway to see what would happen and as soon as a got off the ground, the stall warning started. I flew a bit and came back, using the standard speed indicator - and landed safely, for which I expect a resounding round of applause, of course. As soon as I touched down, the stall warning stopped and below 45knots, the needle went back to it's position. Jan never heard of that with the IXEG or with any real 737?

Hi axmiha,

congrats on your landing - thats what the standby airspeed indicator is there for - well done!

It may have been one of the standard X-Plane failures triggering (like a pitot tube blocked) - no idea, really.

On a real 737 the speed indicators are redundant, so for both CPTs and FO´s indicator to fail, you would need a lot going wrong (like someone forgetting to remove tape after a paint job) simultaneously. But having one fail is quite possible (hitting a bird on takeoff, for example). Thats why we do the "80kts" call with a "checked" response - to verify both speed indicators are showing the same speed.

Cheers, Jan

Ok, thank you. I restarted X-Plane and it's working normally again. I think the standard speed indicator was also showing 60knots, when now, after restart, it was on zero. It's like the speeds were "locked" on 60knots? And when I quit XP after the failure, it didn't ask me "Do you really want to quit?", it just went puf, so it was something wrong with X-Plane, not the plane. I think.

Edited by axmiha
  • Like 1