Any chance of a VRConfig file

3rdwatch

Is there any chance we can get a VR Config file for this bird. Right now most knobs are ridiculously touchy in VR and not usable. I know we make up a small segment but it is the wave of the future. If you have never used VR it will blow your mind.

Edited by 3rdwatch

1 hour ago, 3rdwatch said:

Is there any chance we can get a VR Config file for this bird. Right now most knobs are ridiculously touchy in VR and not usable.

VR is on the list of things to do.

1 hour ago, 3rdwatch said:

If you have never used VR it will blow your mind.

My mind was so blown by VR that my Oculus has sat in the closet now for over a year. :)

9 hours ago, Litjan said:

Its on the list. Although I must say that some of the "entitlement" posts I read about the need for a Vrconfig.txt did not exactly push it way up. We are only human, after all.

Jan

Jan,

I am not sure about entitlement but numerous payware aircraft are missing vrconfig.  VR makes up only a small segement I get that. Honestly first and 2nd gen VR wasn't very good. I have a reverb and its resolution is great. I worked the ramp while I was going to school and the first time I did a walk around of the plane and it was in scale was really mind blowing.

There was one for the IXEG that worked fairly well but X-Plane is saying all the datarefs changed. A VR config file took the Rotate MD-80 from useless to an amazing experience. The standard for a VR config is hands down to me the ZIBO. I am not sure who made it but it is solid.

Hi 3rdwatch - I am absolutely dedicated to making one, rest assured. I have the Oculus Rift, and love playing in it...although not so much the 737, the resolution is simply not good enough. Will be good enough to make a VRconfig.txt, though!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Jan,

This is portion of my error log. Was there a change to the data refs? I am confused as the VR config is fairly simple file. I have attached the old VRConfig

03:01.785 I/OVR: Reading VR conf file: Aircraft/X-Aviation/IXEG 737 Classic/B733_vrconfig.txt
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_plt_course_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_heading_bug_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_bank_angle_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_cplt_course_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/ehsi/ehsi_range_pt_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_ias_mach_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_alt_target_act dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: sim/cockpit2/gauges/actuators/barometer_setting_in_hg_pilot dref2: (NONE) tooltip:
0:03:01.785 W/VRCONFIG: Could not find matching manipulator for type: axis_knob with dref1: sim/cockpit2/gauges/actuators/barometer_setting_in_hg_copilot dref2:

B733_vrconfig.txt

Edited by 3rdwatch

Jan,

Yeah that's what I don't get get. It's acting like the datarefs's path changed. I am probably different them most VR users. I only use the VR control to manipulate knobs and switches. I still have a yoke and a full 737 quadrant and tiller. So even though I am in VR I still physically touch the controls. I usually only turn on my right hand controller to manipulate everything else.

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

I just checked - the names of those datarefs are still valid in the cockpit.obj file. I will have to talk to Tom and do some experimentation...

Cheers, Jan

I just realized the file B733_cockpit.obj is not there. There is a another file B733_cockpit_281.obj file instead. That would be the same or a problem?

Hmm, I just tried, but renaming the file to the usual B733_cockpit.obj (and making the necessary adjustment in planemaker) did not solve the problem...

It is curious that the SimVRlabs package also contains a 733_cockpit.obj. Why is that necessary? There was already a 733_cockpit.obj in the version 1.21 folder?

It is also obvious that the new cockpit.obj has a far more detailed nomenclature for the manipulators than the old one.

Compare:

Old:

ATTR_manip_axis_knob hand -400 400 1 1 ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_plt_course_act none

New:

ATTR_manip_drag_xy    rotate_medium    4000    0    -400    400    -400    400    ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_plt_course_act    none    
    ATTR_manip_wheel    -1

Quite a difference...

Cheers, Jan

as long as i understand they did create its own modified b733_cockpit.obj file to create manipulators that were not present on the ixeg file. i.e. to manipulate the yoke via controllers.

But i am trying to just use the vrconfig.txt file from them (and modified it to eliminate all yoke, throttle and those manipulators i do not need) and xplane keeps telling the datarefs does not exisit. i.e. course, ias, hdg, etc.

Yes, same here. Tom has been using a new export script for Blender...I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

This line in my log:

0:00:20.648 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: C:/jenkins/design-triggered/source_code/app/X-Plane-f/../../engine/hardware/vr_manips.cpp:471

may hint at a deeper problem with this that may have to get solved by Laminar

Cheers, Jan

13 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

as long as i understand they did create its own modified b733_cockpit.obj file to create manipulators that were not present on the ixeg file. i.e. to manipulate the yoke via controllers.

But i am trying to just use the vrconfig.txt file from them (and modified it to eliminate all yoke, throttle and those manipulators i do not need) and xplane keeps telling the datarefs does not exisit. i.e. course, ias, hdg, etc.

I am with you on this one. I just need the knobs/switches to be operable. I can't imagine trying to fly with just VR controlers

ok i have found how to fix this, but it will require me to redo the vrconfigs.txt file to the new IXEG standards.

@3rdwatch stay tuned, i have to take care of personal business for the next 2/3 hours. But will share you later a new vrconfigs.txt file here for you to test having fixed all the MCP thing (course, ias, hdg, alt, etc.) if this works ok i will finish the rest and will be back to the skies :D

1 hour ago, mmerelles said:

ok i have found how to fix this, but it will require me to redo the vrconfigs.txt file to the new IXEG standards.

@3rdwatch stay tuned, i have to take care of personal business for the next 2/3 hours. But will share you later a new vrconfigs.txt file here for you to test having fixed all the MCP thing (course, ias, hdg, alt, etc.) if this works ok i will finish the rest and will be back to the skies :D

Awesome, I will check back later tonight

@3rdwatch

In order to make the IXEG 1.3 work under VR i had to do 2 things:

1. Create a new vrconfig.txt file from scratch to accomodates their newer manipulators

2. but it didin't work still, after further debugging i realized the ixeg cockpit_281.obj file contains quite a bit of trash characters most likely coming from issues on the laminar's blender exporting tool. So i cleared them up and got it working nicely :D

I will share my findings with IXEG team for their testing/evaluation, maybe this helps out to save some time/effort to start providing their bird vr ready

Please find attached 2 files, both should be placed on the 733 root folder (make a backup first of their original B737_cockpit_281.obj for safety/rollback if required)

This is the list of things i already covered (tried to cover the most critical), please test them for some feedback and i will continue to cover the rest of the manipulators on the cockpit

-Both Course selectors

-Heading bug and BANK angle

-IAS

-ALT & VS

-Pilot Copilot & stby Altimeters

-Auto Brake knob

-Nav1 & 2 

-Comm 1 & 2 

-Pilot & Copilot DHs

-EHSI Mode & Range selectors for both pilot & copilot

-IRS system. left, right modes & display selector

-Left & Right engine start knobs

B733_vrconfig.txt

B733_cockpit_281.obj

• Like 1

I got it and the good news is no error mesg's or crashes. So it's a great starting point. Obviously that is the most important. I hope you really didn't tweak the knobs. Again I know this is baby steps but the they were very sensitive but my guess is you were more concerned with seeing if it work. That it does.

On 5/25/2020 at 4:25 AM, Cameron said:

VR is on the list of things to do.

My mind was so blown by VR that my Oculus has sat in the closet now for over a year. :)

Well i love VR and only fly VR and so do a lot of people i Know. Im part of a group who fly together on a sunday and all of us fly in VR and we love it, Best thing that ever came out for Flight sim.

4 hours ago, mmerelles said:

@3rdwatch

In order to make the IXEG 1.3 work under VR i had to do 2 things:

1. Create a new vrconfig.txt file from scratch to accomodates their newer manipulators

2. but it didin't work still, after further debugging i realized the ixeg cockpit_281.obj file contains quite a bit of trash characters most likely coming from issues on the laminar's blender exporting tool. So i cleared them up and got it working nicely :D

I will share my findings with IXEG team for their testing/evaluation, maybe this helps out to save some time/effort to start providing their bird vr ready

Please find attached 2 files, both should be placed on the 733 root folder (make a backup first of their original B737_cockpit_281.obj for safety/rollback if required)

This is the list of things i already covered (tried to cover the most critical), please test them for some feedback and i will continue to cover the rest of the manipulators on the cockpit

-Both Course selectors

-Heading bug and BANK angle

-IAS

-ALT & VS

-Pilot Copilot & stby Altimeters

-Auto Brake knob

-Nav1 & 2 

-Comm 1 & 2 

-Pilot & Copilot DHs

-EHSI Mode & Range selectors for both pilot & copilot

-IRS system. left, right modes & display selector

-Left & Right engine start knobs

B733_vrconfig.txt

B733_cockpit_281.obj

Thank you so much. cant wait to give it a try.

Cheers

11 hours ago, midi48 said:

Thank you so much. cant wait to give it a try.

Cheers

Quick update, did try this new VR config and obj file . Tried to do a flight manipulators worked fine all seemed ok but twice sim froze at different times, first time froze on taxi 2nd time froze just after takeoff. Not sure if these were related to the new files or something else.  Will test again tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1