Mouse Wheel Backwards?!!!

SimCaesar

I've been waiting seemingly forever for mouse wheel support for this aircraft and finally today it happens and it is the REVERSE of what it should be. If I move the mouse wheel down (towards me) I would normally expect it to decrease values but instead it increases them. Conversely moving the mouse wheel up (away from me) decreases values. This is the opposite of every other aircraft in the history of flight simulation that has mouse wheel support, I can't for the life of me understand why you would implement it this way.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us a fix or an update or something as soon as possible, I've only been using it 5 minutes and it's already driving me crazy.

• Upvote 1

I apologize for this one, we are aware...so how did it end up this way?   Well...... I reverse my scrollwheel direction for my 3D work in Blender and so it worked 'normally' on my end and I simply didn't catch it during the exports.....I understand I'm the exception here.  For those interested in a workaround, until we send out a patch, you can 1). use the manips as previously or 2) reverse your mouse scrollwheel direction in the OS before running X-Plane.   This is on our list.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Have to chime in with saying sorry - I never caught this during my testing as I never use scrollwheel to work any manipulators, so it never registered on me for being "reversed".

Progress is often two steps forward, one step back. We will get it ;-)

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Litjan said:

Have to chime in with saying sorry - I never caught this during my testing as I never use scrollwheel to work any manipulators, so it never registered on me for being "reversed".

Progress is often two steps forward, one step back. We will get it ;-)

Cheers, Jan

Just a thought: Had you still the LH config for the overhead panel, then this mousewheel quirk would actually make some sense. :lol:

• Like 1

Note that it is even worse: The HDG turns right with the mouse wheel forward, and the ALT turns left.

So the "quick solution" that I certainly would have performed, namely to reverse everything, does not work. I know my style of programming errors, :-)

While I am at it: There are switches that can be dragged (three-way switches like the PACK settings), and there are switches that can't (two-way switches). Trying to drag the latter will switch them simply. This is non-intuitive. You drag down and the switch goes up. If you implemented this correctly, you'd be the first plane that has that feature.

This is a preference IMO.  A two way switch, exhibiting "binary state" is well represented by clicking to toggle between the binary states, its very common in lots of planes.  This doesn't work for 3-way switches clearly, but does for two-way.   While I get what you're saying about the dragging of two way switches for newbies, I'd also say that like anything, once you've done it a few times, it doesn't become an issue and is very intutive...we have a few million clicks by users who have never thought twice about it.

Regarding your picture...does what have to be like what?   If you mean, "the smoke"....its default x-plane, not us....I don't like it either.  .you may have your runway conditions set to 'wet" in your weather settings.  You should make sure that setting is consistent with the rest of your weather settings.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

35 minutes ago, mga010 said:

Note that it is even worse: The HDG turns right with the mouse wheel forward, and the ALT turns left.

good catch; however,  its stroboscopic effect on the perimeter of the knob, not incorrect turn direction, you'll note the center symbol goes in the expected direction, so the knob is turning in the correct direction, it just doesn't appear to; however, we will adjust it to "look more natural" as the ALT knob.

-tkyler

15 minutes ago, tkyler said:

This is a preference IMO.  A two way switch, exhibiting "binary state" is well represented by clicking to toggle between the binary states, its very common in lots of planes.  This doesn't work for 3-way switches clearly, but does for two-way.   While I get what you're saying about the dragging of two way switches for newbies, I'd also say that like anything, once you've done it a few times, it doesn't become an issue and is very intutive...we have a few million clicks by users who have never thought twice about it.

Regarding your picture...does what have to be like what?   If you mean, "the smoke"....its default x-plane, not us....I don't like it either.  .you may have your runway conditions set to 'wet" in your weather settings.  You should make sure that setting is consistent with the rest of your weather settings.

-tkyler

I do like the idea of making this a preference of some type.  I have written animation code that allows you to set the "time to switch 2 way switches"...usually in fractions of a second, so folks can tune it to their liking (for click manipulation, not drag); however, its not implemented here in this product.  Two way switches typically "snap" position very quickly, and so slow animating switches can look funny.  More prefs to tune this is probably the best solution; however, it complicates the cockpit setup as we'd have to keep track of multiple sets of manipulators...doable...just more overhead

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

mousewheel direction has been fixed for next patch.  the V/S wheel also has scrollwheel support, as does the ASI knobs.  I'm locking this topic so I don't have to spend time reviewing posts of known issues.

• Like 3

• tkyler locked this topic