SR22 Development Update 6

Coop

We are excited to share what we have been working on behind the scenes for the last month and a half! We last shared about how we are integrating the many unique aerodynamic features of the SR22 into the model, this has been further refined along with our custom engine model (which was discussed here). While refining our custom systems has been a top priority for the development team, our 3D artist Steaven has also been hard at work, making one of the best 3D models for an X-Plane aircraft to-date!

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_10.thumb.jpg.671f77288856139f4bb66475582913db.jpg

RealSimGear Integration

Our rendition of the SR22 aircraft has designed from the onset with the hardware customer in-mind. Our aircraft will integrate perfectly with the RealSimGear Perspective Hardware, providing the ideal home flight simulator.

The RealSimGear Cirrus Perspective hardware package will work out of the box with the new aircraft providing a fully integrated and easy to configure home training solution for people wanting to learn and practice flying real Cirrus aircraft. The PFD and MFD screens will automatically display the screen contents when the aircraft is loaded, all buttons and knobs will be pre-configured. This makes it possible to practice the exact same workflows and procedures you would normally encounter during a real world flight, including full checklist operation, flight plan loading and instrument approaches. This coupled with the extremely realistic engine and system modeling means that flying with the simulated aircraft combined with realistic hardware provides an incredibly effective home training platform.

3D Modeling and Texture Update

We have also nearly completed the 3D model and texturing process for the aircraft! The model has full 4K PBR texturing, with accurately replicated materials throughout (Even down to the style of fabrics and leathers used)!

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_02.thumb.jpg.9cd89962b4ae54edb75819bd606aea6f.jpg

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_06.thumb.jpg.b80719f9dc558baee0cf4ebb76710ff9.jpgTS_SR22_2020_05_18_08.thumb.jpg.fc9b4a16b3030ae9212dd6875a5b191b.jpg

Engine Model Update

The SR22 IO-550-N engine will be the most accurately replicated piston engine for X-Plane. The engine is simulated down to each individual component! Over the past few weeks, the engine model has been further refined and extensively enhanced in order to represent the proper behaviors of the IO-550-N as authentically as possible during normal, hot, cold, flooded and false starts. This is now supplemented by an extensive oil system and other features never seen before on piston engines in X-Plane, such as engine knock (detonation) based on real data as well as some unique characteristics pointed out by real Cirrus pilots on our testing team. The entire component-based simulation of engine, fuel, TKS and oxygen systems has also been integrated into a novel maintenance concept which organizes maintenance intuitively in the form of inspections.

Our custom FMOD sound pack also benefits from the advanced physics-based system simulation. For example, when flooding the engine you will hear fuel dripping from the cylinder drain port. On the SR22TN you will hear the sounds of the turbochargers depending on their speeds.

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_11.thumb.jpg.88d760c36291f2c31f080eaed9f97615.jpg

Electrical System Update

We originally discussed the Electrical System back in February, detailing the level of depth of the system. We have further refined, tested, and validated the system in all of its various modes! We have developed an internal physics model simulating the lead-acid battery and its various behaviors. The behaviors of the Alternators and the Master Control Unit are also all simulated. The electrical system is a low-level physics simulation, when a switch is flipped on the plane, instead of simply checking for power on the bus, the SR22 simulation actually connects the “switch” tying the individual electrical item onto the power bus. This new logic allows for the many different states of the SR22 to be dynamically simulated at runtime.

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_07.thumb.jpg.42eca7d2f44cb89c98c947d24a931ac1.jpg

New Website!

TorqueSim has a new website! Visit torquesim.com to check it out, our goal was to make everything easier to find and for the website to load quickly across the globe. We have split off the development blog from the main website, you can now find our development blog at blog.torquesim.com with our update blog posts and more.

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_08.thumb.jpg.fc9b4a16b3030ae9212dd6875a5b191b.jpg

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_01.jpg

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_05.jpg

TS_SR22_2020_05_18_09.jpg

• Like 4

Very exciting to watch this project come together.  I'm most impressed by the depth into the electrical system simulation including the busses as well as the functioning circuit breakers.  As a long-time Cirrus owner/pilot I'm excited that it will really allow this model to be used for serious training even beyond the great benefits of an accurate G1000 Perspective suite and true flight characteristics.  Kudos to the entire team working on this.  REALLY looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

I'm an owner/pilot of a SR22 G3 Perspective, and I'm really looking forward to the release.  I hope the realism is such that emergencies can be trained realistically.

If it possible and matches to the Real SR22G3, PLEASE, add ADF to G1000, like TBM900 has!!!

My plane does not have an ADF, so it's not something universal. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:17 AM, HFL said:

I'm an owner/pilot of a SR22 G3 Perspective, and I'm really looking forward to the release.  I hope the realism is such that emergencies can be trained realistically.

My plane does not have an ADF, so it's not something universal. 

Yet you can add it if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to preface by saying I mean nothing negative because your work looks great, but I have a question for you guys. I'm sure you've already heard of the SR-22 that was just released by HoldMyBeer. Now I understand they modeled a G6 and yours is modeling the G3, but with those differences aside, what about your aircraft will stand out over theirs? Essentially, why should I get yours when it's released?

33 minutes ago, blizzard84 said:

I want to preface by saying I mean nothing negative because your work looks great, but I have a question for you guys. I'm sure you've already heard of the SR-22 that was just released by HoldMyBeer. Now I understand they modeled a G6 and yours is modeling the G3, but with those differences aside, what about your aircraft will stand out over theirs? Essentially, why should I get yours when it's released?

Thanks for asking this, very understandable. The HMB SR22 is a great freeware aircraft, congrats to folks at HMB on that. Our aircraft is being designed with a different set of goals, as is understandable for the differences between payware vs freeware. Our SR22 is poised to be used for training at many different flight schools, as such we aren't making a typical aircraft. The stability and accuracy of what we do is paramount. The TorqueSim SR22 will shine when compared; we have a team of experienced developers working on the many different aspects aircraft. Some of the various points to highlight briefly: 

- Level of fidelity: we have a fully custom engine model, custom TKS model, custom oxygen, custom electrical, to just scratch the surface. 
- Our 3D model and textures are some of highest quality ever made for an X-Plane aircraft. 
- A fully custom-recorded and professionally developed FMOD sound pack. We have spent hundreds of hours recording and mastering the sounds to be perfect in-sim.  
- Our flight model has been professionally developed and is tuned to perform exactly like the real aircraft. 
- Maintenance and wear simulation: hundreds of different components are simulated to wear over time, proper care in flying is completely necessary. 
- Properly tuned for performance. We have many years of combined X-Plane experience, as such we know quite a bit on performance tuning. We are making sure to multithread as much as possible for optimal performance. 
- Synthetic vision on the G1000 along with numerous other improvements upon the base G1000
- Flight testing and validation, we are working with a team of real pilots and testers to get all the details ironed out and everything to be precise and working. 
- This and a bunch, bunch more features that we are still working on :)

If these features aren't what you are looking for in X-Plane, the HMB is a fine alternative. We are confident our aircraft will stand its own.

Edited by Coop
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Like you said, the HMB SR22 is an awesome machine, but I always like to see healthy competition. Sounds like your aircraft will offer a different set of high quality features, many of which I like to see. Very much looking forward to the release!

• 1 month later...

Do you guys have a rough ETA for this yet?  I'm looking to get my high-performance endorsement in a 2004 SR-22 GTS.  I'm hoping this will be similar enough to the real airplane in terms of performance characteristics, v speeds, handling, and being able to go through emergencies.  The aircraft i'll be using will have the Avidyne system and Garmin 430 GPS, so the avionics will be different, but hopefully everything else will be similar.   Getting familiar with this aircraft in the sim will save a lot of time and money.  I'm really looking forward to this!

23 hours ago, OuterMarker said:

I can't wait for this release. I noticed there are no Pilot models though, is there any chance these will be added later on? It would be a real shame to look at this beautifully modeled airplane in cruise being flown by ghosts:unsure:

Of course! These just didn't made it into our promo material or our first release candidate sent to Max for the stream. 

• Like 1

Couple of quick points..

It flies great, really good feel. Its performance on my 2019 MacBook Pro is shaky at best.  I put it on the lowest settings with metal and got 13fps.  Without metal I was able to get it up to 22ish fps.  

The hypoxia simulation is pretty cool, I had no idea why the screen was going dark but it eventually it made sense :).  Unfortunately when I hit the oxygen switch (down by the flap switch) nothing happens.  I also clicked the button to refill the oxygen tank in the maintenance menu but no luck.  I would love some help here.

9 minutes ago, ShaneT said:

Couple of quick points..

It flies great, really good feel. Its performance on my 2019 MacBook Pro is shaky at best.  I put it on the lowest settings with metal and got 13fps.  Without metal I was able to get it up to 22ish fps.  

The hypoxia simulation is pretty cool, I had no idea why the screen was going dark but it eventually it made sense :).  Unfortunately when I hit the oxygen switch (down by the flap switch) nothing happens.  I also clicked the button to refill the oxygen tank in the maintenance menu but no luck.  I would love some help here.

13" or 16" MBP?

Inside the central console there is a flowmeter that needs to be set for the altitude you are flying at. It does take longer to return to normal, as it would in reality, with our simulation though, than the standard X-Plane speed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

13" or 16" MBP?

Inside the central console there is a flowmeter that needs to be set for the altitude you are flying at. It does take longer to return to normal, as it would in reality, with our simulation though, than the standard X-Plane speed. 

15in late 2019
2.6 6 core i7
16GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536

• 1 month later...