[SOLVED]MFD/FMC display font on Mac

I've been troubleshooting the microstutters issue on my PC that a few others have reported, and decided to install it on my iMac to see if the same issue was present. Much to my surprise, my iMac (Core i3 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 4670 256MB, 10.6.7) actually runs it much better than my Asus G72GX gaming laptop (Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 6GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium x64, nVidia GTX 260M 1GB), with frame rates in the mid-40s as opposed to the low-20s to low-30s stuttering I'm seeing on the laptop. However, I noticed that the font used on the displays and the FMC is not the clear and sharp font I see on the PC and in the manual, and appears to be Courier. Is this normal on the Mac, or is there an issue on my system somewhere? See the screenshots here for what I'm seeing. It's not a big deal at all if this is normal, but I just want to make sure that it's by design and not an issue with my system.

post-912-131369608051_thumb.png

post-912-131369608061_thumb.png

This is normal. We are using a different font on Mac than we use on Windows and Linux. We have to, to be compatible with OSX 10.5.

There are still people using 10.5 out there, so when we had to decide between "same looks, but crashes on 10.5" and "slightly different look, but works everywhere" we opted for the latter.

This may change in future, especially with the arrival of 10.7, when statistics indicate that fewer users are running 10.5

Philipp

Yes it is normal. We made this to fix an align issue on mac, but we are searching other font similar to pc on.

Yes! It is normal have more fps in mac and linux than on pc. It is documented.

Javier and Philip, thanks for the explanation. I've always had a keen eye for fonts, so I noticed it right away, but it certainly doesn't detract at all from the experience. Regarding the frame rate differences, I do remember reading that frame rates were higher on Mac and Linux, but given the disparity in hardware between my PC laptop and my iMac, I expected things would be a wash and I'd see about the same frame rate on both. But I'll take what I'm getting on my iMac any day. Once I'm back home off this business trip at the end of the week, I plan to spend some time this weekend really getting to know this great add-on. I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far. I've been mostly into FS9/FSX, but Tom's MU2 got me into X-plane a couple of years ago, and several other add-ons have come along since then that have kept me using it from time to time. I haven't done anything with any flight sim for over 6 months, but I started following the threads again when it became clear the CRJ was close to release. I've been interested in this one since it was first announced, and had to get it as soon as it came out. Now I've got to budget for a couple more planes that have caught my eye as well.

Incidentally, my flight this morning was on a CRJ. Made me wish I had installed it on my Macbook Pro so I could have tinkered with it in the hotel this week.