VR - Cumulus Clouds

Jonnti46

The effect I'm talking about that I see is when flying through clouds I see flashes of white in the bottom of the left or right eye of my headset.  It's like someone is flickering light in to my eyes with mirrors.  This only happens when flying through clouds.  I use a first edition Oculus headset and that's the only issue I've personally noticed, the clouds otherwise look fine for me all the time (other than the odd "pop-in" effect where part of a cloud will suddenly appear on the left or right close to me).  When I fly outside VR I can see moments where the instrument panel will be covered in what looks like a white cloud texture while flying through clouds, but only the instrument panel is ever covered by it (for a split second each time), not the windscreen.  This is in the stock C172.  I'm thinking that's what is causing the flashes of white towards the bottom of each eye when flying through them for me.

Edited by rawdmon

17 hours ago, rawdmon said:

The effect I'm talking about that I see is when flying through clouds I see flashes of white in the bottom of the left or right eye of my headset.  It's like someone is flickering light in to my eyes with mirrors.  This only happens when flying through clouds.  I use a first edition Oculus headset and that's the only issue I've personally noticed, the clouds otherwise look fine for me all the time (other than the odd "pop-in" effect where part of a cloud will suddenly appear on the left or right close to me).  When I fly outside VR I can see moments where the instrument panel will be covered in what looks like a white cloud texture while flying through clouds, but only the instrument panel is ever covered by it (for a split second each time), not the windscreen.  This is in the stock C172.  I'm thinking that's what is causing the flashes of white towards the bottom of each eye when flying through them for me.

FWIW I spent a fair amount of time yesterday flying through clouds in my Vive Pro using our latest internal beta release, and did not see this effect although I was looking closely for it. Cautiously optimistic we've finally found a way to eliminate this.

So I can be sure, can you let me know what graphics settings you are using (AA setting, HDR on or off, Vulkan on or off?) These sorts of issues are related to the depth buffer, and X-Plane handles the depth buffer differently in each of those cases.

Edited by sundog

9 hours ago, sundog said:

FWIW I spent a fair amount of time yesterday flying through clouds in my Vive Pro using our latest internal beta release, and did not see this effect although I was looking closely for it. Cautiously optimistic we've finally found a way to eliminate this.

So I can be sure, can you let me know what graphics settings you are using (AA setting, HDR on or off, Vulkan on or off?) These sorts of issues are related to the depth buffer, and X-Plane handles the depth buffer differently in each of those cases.

HDR is on, but the slider is set to high, not max. Using Vulkan, though this happens with OpenGL as well. Anti-aliasing is set at FXAA+SSAAx2. 

Well I hadn't tried this since my posts back in June.  Just tried again with real world weather (Fitchburg Airport in MA-where it is currently "stormy") and immediately saw the double-vision overcast skies just sitting on the runway, and clearly unplayable after a quick take-off.  That test lasted a grand total of 1 minute and that was enough.  Uninstalling again.  (Valve Index, SkyMaxx Pro v4.9.6.2, 2080Ti, i9).

23 hours ago, Gildahl said:

Well I hadn't tried this since my posts back in June.  Just tried again with real world weather (Fitchburg Airport in MA-where it is currently "stormy") and immediately saw the double-vision overcast skies just sitting on the runway, and clearly unplayable after a quick take-off.  That test lasted a grand total of 1 minute and that was enough.  Uninstalling again.  (Valve Index, SkyMaxx Pro v4.9.6.2, 2080Ti, i9).

As we've said above, you'll probably want to try again when our next update goes out. The fixes I'm talking about haven't been released yet.

@Frank So I was flying the other day and noticed that I wasn't seeing those flickers when flying through the clouds.  I then messed around a bit and found that the best way to reproduce them is to set the cloud base at about 5000 feet (extending slightly above that) in the weather settings, select scattered clouds, set the time of day to 2:40pm, then make sure you're flying in to the clouds from the side that the sun hits them at (they should look pretty bright white on the side that you're flying in to them from).  If the effect is still happening you should see it then.  Note that sometimes I see these little wisps of cloud, almost like a single cloud layer floating by itself and when I fly through those the effect is most noticeable, however I also see it when flying through actual cloud formations as well.  Just something specific for you to try to see if you can spot any.

Edited by rawdmon
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Does anyone who previously had VR problems (clouds making you go crossed eyed etc) have any news with the latest new release? The information seems "vague" as to whether this is actually fixed or has been looked at or tested. So, it would seem the only source of information might come from a user that once had the issue but now does not? Many thanks.