DME

4535jacks

When the NAV 1 is tuned into a VOR DME, it provides a distance reading but when it is tuned into an ILS DME it does not.   How can DME be shown during an instrument approach? 

I am trying to find a way of getting DME without loading an approach into the GPS so I can practice approaches without having a simple magenta line to follow.

I for one would like to see as mod to remove the 530 and replace it will a more basic bendix king stack.  Or maybe just install a separate DME unit slaved to NAV1.   

Edited by 4535jacks

23 hours ago, 4535jacks said:

I am trying to find a way of getting DME without loading an approach into the GPS ...

Simply use the OBS function. Very useful for a bush pilots! :D

I don't know how well X-plane simulate different navigation sourсes, but in a RL accuracy of the DME ground stations is 185 m (±0.1 nm) and the GNS 530 accuracy 15 m.

Edited by airwar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, charraeus said:

Nevertheless the DME is needed for some approaches or departures, because sometimes a turning point in the charts is only stated e.g. D3.5 ILUE (as in LUGE1K SID at Lübeck).

What I use is to press "Direct to" on either GPS and enter the ILS/LOC name. In this case ILUE. The GPS will then show the distance to the LOC/ILS. In addition you can use the OBS function to get a reference line on the 530. This works fine and is allowed since GPS can be used instead of DME. (at least what I fund out when researching this some years ago)

After this I don't panic if my plane does not have a DME display. (Use the GPS in VLOC mode.)