Disappointed with the BN-2 Islander

4535jacks

The Islander is one of my favourite aircraft and so I decided to buy the Torque Sim version for XP11.  This is my first payware aircraft and I think I have made a bad decision.  The aircraft is very disappointing.

I only fly in VR.  I do not understand why the switches and some of the rotary knobs are sliders and not switches or rotary encoders.  This makes them difficult to use in VR.  For example, for the fuel gauges, you have move the controller different ways to get the two fuel selectors to rotate in the same direction.  Whereas in other aircraft you select the knob and rotate the controller in the direction you want to rotate the knob.  Also several switched only make a noise when they are turned off but not on.  This makes the use of sliders even more difficult as it is difficult to tell when they have been switched.

Also, there are no VR locations in any of the seats meaning you cannot jump to the co-pilot seat or a passenger seat using the controller.

Finally I should have done more research as there is no DME.  I for one don't understand why a developer would not put a DME in an aircraft from the 60s.  Instead it seems you have to use the GPS dist to go which does not measure the same distance as a DME meaning IFR approaches flown without use GPS guidance will be off. 

Edit:  Further disappointment, the BN-2 has LOWER frames than the Zibo 737 Mod even when the Zibo mod is displaying rain animations.  I also tested the Just Flight Arrow Demo and just like the Zibo mod, that also sits at a solid 45 FPS (forced to 45 FPS) while the BN-2 hovers at 41-42.

So all in all I am disappointed and feel I should have saved my money and waited for the Nimbus Sims version.  If you plan to use the aircraft for VR only like me then I am afraid I cannot recommend it.  I have V1.01.

Jacks

Edited by 4535jacks

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, David@home said:

Actually I really like this model but like Jacks I cant see DME and would prefer to have sight of  other than using GPS ... any ideas anyone else... or is it just not included due to GPS inclusion?

Right now there is not a distinct DME unit integrated, it is something we will consider.

• 4 months later...

From my experience this Islander is one of my preferred a/c in xp.

in vr the cockpit textures are much more better than a lot of other planes, all the switches and knobs are working in vr and the fps are more or less the same of the avarange of the other planes i have ( and i have a lot ...)

speaking about the DME i think that is quite normal to update an old aircraft with a gps and not a dme because the gps cover the dme function and much more ....

i really raccomend this plane specially for vr

• Like 1