Why is my yaw damper on the ground?

SHaines

I am puzzled by a caution message that occurs often when I first load the TBM900. "CAUTION: Yaw damper must be OFF the ground!" First of all I never left the yaw damper on the ground and have no idea how it got there. Nor do I have any idea how to fix it. Whenever I get this message I am stuck and have to restart XPlane. Does anyone (Goran?) know what causes this and how to prevent it in the future? Thanks for any advice on this. —SH

Note... I discovered this problem seems to happen if I relocate the aircraft by selecting a new start location in the Aircraft Setup window. All of this, of course, happens before I have touched any controls, loaded fuel or anything else. Just open the aircraft, look around then try to change the location... Bing! I get the Caution message and everything freezes. 

Edited by SHaines

Goran,

Thanks for replying (again) and so quickly. The puzzling thing is I recall you or someone else saying this precise thing about this issue so I am always careful to turn off YD at the same time I disengage AP. Yet I still get this caution message. And as I mentioned, it is often triggered by going into the flight setup page and selecting a different startup point. That seems to send everything into a tizzy resulting in a total freezeup. I will keep track of this and let you know if it reoccurs. I will also keep my eye on the YD button to be certain it's off prior to landing. Thanks. —Steve H

Goran,

I just re-read the section of the QSG on the Yaw Damper where it states that turning off the AP automatically disables the YD as well. In addition, landing with the damper on is prohibited because it would interfere with manual controls. So I am certain I have not landed or done anything else with the YD before, during or after landing. And all of the instances I discuss here pertain to pre-start operations where I have not even turned on the battery. So I am wondering how it is possible to get this caution warning and resulting freeze up before I have even touched the controls. To nail this down further... I did not leave the YD on while landing or after landing. Any other possibilities? 

It's not a normal event to have happen, because I've never seen this happen on my end, and neither has anyone else, as far as I have seen.  Even Steveokinevo just posted a new video on youtube with the TBM, and this issue was not present on his setup.  So I would definitely assume this is some kind of isolated issue.  The only things I can suggest now would be to check the maintenance manager and fix anything that may need to be fixed, delete the contents of your state folder or create a new airframe and then see if the problem persists.

It's funny you mention Kinevo's video because I just watched it this morning and then purchased the two airports so I can recreate his flight. Not an easy landing for sure. 

I don't know what may have caused this, Goran, but I will keep an eye on it and if I run into it again will try to send you any pertinent log files or other info that may point to a cause. I am reluctant to use the vile "b" word but maybe this one qualifies. We'll see. Thanks for following up. I still think this is the best sim aircraft in the hangar. —SH