Realistic FOV

ktomais

37 minutes ago, ktomais said:

Hi all,

I guess this is a question directed mainly at Jan. :) I was wondering what would be the optimal/realistic FOV to set on X-Plane when flying the IXEG. Of course any findings or suggestions by the rest of the IXEG pilots is welcome! 

Hello :D

Just a flightsim pilot here.

I found the sweet spot to be between 75 and 85 percent for my 27" screen. Currently have it at 80. I think what´s more important, is your eyepoint in terms of how high you "sit" in the virtual seat. It can make a huge difference. 

This is my specific default eyepoint, adapted for every airliner I have in my hangar. Vertical camera tilt is always the same, three finger width between screen top and horizon:

the camera is probably a tad high, but it gives me perfect vision and it is set up according to the boeing seat adjustment guide.

120498823_X-Plane2020-05-0621-46-42.thumb.png.212715c92463d4c430f6ba08e9c24728.png

But I see people trying to land with eyepoints like this:

Wich to my experience is making a stable aproach and good flare nearly impossible.

541533341_X-Plane2020-05-0621-47-03.thumb.png.b5fa4ee000c27da57b18b78de73044b1.png

It is very noticable how much RWY visibility I lost in the second picture. Having a +1 to +2,5 degree deck angle at approach and flare will block all visibility of the RWY. That way landings are more guesswork than anything else.

I mentioned my camera tilt do be always the same; to me it is vital because it gives my brain something to fall back on to judge the attitude of the aircraft.

Having always the same camera setting on approach gives me the ability to juge the situation by fixpoints wich makes a bit up for the missing depth perception.

Maybe this helps a bit. :)

Let´s see what Jan has to say. ^_^

Happy Landings

SkyFly

Edited by SkyFly
  • Like 3

I usually use the W view for when I land which seems quite natural. But I'm indeed wondering about the correct FOV at this point, so you'd have instrument coverage. It's difficult to judge how much you should have realistically in your peripheral vision, without distortion and over-helping yourself by seeing too much. I like your first picture, maybe with somewhat less FOV. 

Edited by ktomais
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktomais said:

I usually use the W view for when I land which seems quite natural. But I'm indeed wondering about the correct FOV at this point, so you'd have instrument coverage. It's difficult to judge how much you should have realistically in your peripheral vision, without distortion and over-helping yourself by seeing too much. I like your first picture, maybe with somewhat less FOV. 

I had the FOV at 72° for a long time and thrust me, 80° is the highest I will go. It´s the upper limit of weird, but not too weird. Anything above seems unnatural to me. It´s relly a matter of individual taste, eye-screen distance, and screen size. Play around to find your personal sweet spot. Don´t hesitate to change it from now and then. I don´t know how often I have changed camerapositions and FOV settings to find the speet spots.

The "W" view is probably a nice compromise but for me personaly it was too low and I want all my Airliners, espechially my 737s to have a uniform viewpoint blablabla. I´m repeating myself. :wacko::mellow::lol:

Check this out.:

image.png.4ad604de9d84321ef71d1fbbf4b2127f.png

• Like 1

No single answer here - it just depends on personal taste too much.

There is the "hardcore realistic" viewpoint - according to the FCOM from Boeing. Then there is the "go back as far as possible to see everything" option.

Throw in different FoV settings. I think 60 deg is probably the most realistic - but you will have to turn and squirm a bit (or set up different views) to see everything. Going higher distorts the view unnaturally (fisheye view), but has the benefit of seeing more without having to turn your view.

Ultimately the answer is VR. Yet that brings its own problems (mainly resolution and framerate concerns).

I am considering moving the cockpit default viewpoint (W key) to cater to the new yoke height/slant...but am afraid that this will throw off a lot of people that are used to flying with it that way, too.

The married man knows that problem. Whatever you do... ;)

Cheers, Jan

• Like 5