READY for release. Switches, starting, flying

AlyMac

As an ex Loganair BN-2 pilot I was so looking forward to reviewing this aircraft. Unfortunately after buying it direct yesterday - i can only conclude that it is not ready for release as it is not fit for purpose.

As of today there now appears to be a manual. Yesterday had me pulling my hair out trying to get the aircraft started.

The switches are not "Click" zones - rather they are "Drag" zones. They need to be dragged in the direction of travel but there is no explanation.

Starting the engines I still have not worked out. Yesterday I got it to start but today - no luck. The starter switch doesnt seem to function. It requires CTRL + 1 or 2 to turn the prop but I cant get it to start. Again no help in the manual.

Yesterday when i got it to start I took off to fly around. Once into the cruise I trimmed for level flight and thought to take a look at the outside of the model to take some exterior shots to start my review. There was the aircraft with pitot cover, engine blanks and two traffic cones. No explanation how to get them off - theyre there, full time. I thought "Ok - you must click them off on a walk around like the real thing!". No- they dont - and no explanation in the manual how to remove them.

Very frustrating but I'll give you a chance to get it right...... :-(

Edited by AlyMac

3 minutes ago, AlyMac said:

As an ex Loganair BN-2 pilot I was so looking forward to reviewing this aircraft. Unfortunately after buying it direct yesterday - i can only conclude that it is not ready for release as it is not fit for purpose.

As of today there now appears to be a manual. Yesterday had me pulling my hair out trying to get the aircraft started.

The switches are not "Click" zones - rather they are "Drag" zones. They need to be dragged in the direction of travel but there is no explanation.

Starting the engines I still have not worked out. Yesterday I got it to start but today - no luck. The starter switch doesnt seem to function. It requires CTRL + 1 or 2 to turn the prop but I cant get it to start. Again no help in the manual.

Yesterday when i got it to start I took off to fly around. Once into the cruise I trimmed for level flight and thought to take a look at the outside of the model to take some exterior shots to start my review. There was the aircraft with pitot cover, engine blanks and two traffic cones. No explanation how to get them off - theyre there, full time. I thought "Ok - you must click them off on a walk around like the real thing!". No- they dont - and no explanation in the manual how to remove them.

Regarding the engine switches, make sure that the External/Starter Isolation switch is turned on, that is the most typical thing that would prevent the starters from their operation. This system is described on page 2-4 of the manual. 

Regarding the external covers, there is a bug preventing their logic from working, this will be fixed ASAP. To hide/show them this can be done through the sidebar menu; if you hover your mouse on the left edge of the screen, the tab to open the menu will show. We will make sure to get this documented in the manual. 

11 minutes ago, AlyMac said:

It takes as little learning curve to get to use to things but it get less frustrating as you get hang on them.

I have several friends ex airliners in their 70th who after some time got accustomed to flight sim  and now know more things they I do lol

As for me I got lucky. I was long time summer before becoming commercial pilot and CFI! So my learning curve is always short.

I hope things will work for you . Looking forward for you impressions of flight model. 

The aircraft looks superb - both inside and out, its a work of art but it still needs some polishing, The sound is not great. The Islander is a very noisy aeroplane - inside and out. The propeller tips on the 540's go very close to supersonic on high settings giving a very characteristic and distinctive  whining/roar. This is a good video of HEBO outside and in. its not right mate - sorry. Way too quiet.

• Like 1

I wouldn't develop something like a Harley and not get the exhaust right, same for the Islander ;) . We had a major fmod bug which has since been attacked, updated and are STILL refining. Thanks for all the videos but I've had enough of these engines hahaha, not really obviously. My tinnitus is lit up. :lol: 

Edited by Attitude
  • Like 2

Hi AlyMac,

As an ex islander pilot, could you explain how the condition levers work in the real aircraft and when you should use  them? They dont seem to do anything in the sim aircrfaft, no sound pitch changes or instrument changes as far as i can tell. Is this how the real aircraft works?

Thanks

Mike

Hi AlyMac,

As an ex islander pilot, could you explain how the condition levers work in the real aircraft and when you should use  them? They dont seem to do anything in the sim aircrfaft, no sound pitch changes or instrument changes as far as i can tell. Is this how the real aircraft works?

Thanks

Mike

At my company we bring them back to the areas of the “T” and “U” in “MIXTURE” as we didn’t have an EGT gauge fitted to ours. We only lean when the engines are set to cruise power (23”/2300).

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, Coop said:

Regarding the engine switches, make sure that the External/Starter Isolation switch is turned on, that is the most typical thing that would prevent the starters from their operation. This system is described on page 2-4 of the manual. 

Regarding the external covers, there is a bug preventing their logic from working, this will be fixed ASAP. To hide/show them this can be done through the sidebar menu; if you hover your mouse on the left edge of the screen, the tab to open the menu will show. We will make sure to get this documented in the manual. 

Thanks Coop. It was obviously "Finger trouble" - in pilot speak. I think a lot of clients - like myself will also not be used to "Slide" rocker switches, this may be worth a line in the manual.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, pict said:

At my company we bring them back to the areas of the “T” and “U” in “MIXTURE” as we didn’t have an EGT gauge fitted to ours. We only lean when the engines are set to cruise power (23”/2300).

We were always flying below 3,000 so we didnt bother adjusting mixtures. MP and RPM - like you, we worked square as I remember ie 22" /2,200 rpm, 23"/2,300 rpm. It was back in 1986 and Ive lost data due to being old and crinkly :-) 

23 hours ago, Attitude said:

I wouldn't develop something like a Harley and not get the exhaust right, same for the Islander ;) . We had a major fmod bug which has since been attacked, updated and are STILL refining. Thanks for all the videos but I've had enough of these engines hahaha, not really obviously. My tinnitus is lit up. :lol: 

Ok old bean, that explains it - sorry if I came over as being a little rude. "Tinnitus"?  yes I have that little whistle in my old lugs :-) I put it down to open cockpits and motorbikes rather than the BN-2 and the Twotters !  

• AlyMac changed the title to READY for release. Switches, starting, flying

Hi Cameron,

What a difference a day makes ! This update of the Fmod has transformed the aeroplane - i dont use the headset however ;) Love those brake sounds and the islander really is that loud on the ground ! - but just to keep you working - you need to add  "tink - tink plink tink whack tink tink crack!" when you put the prop de-ice on in icing conditions as the ice shoots off the props scaring the sh1t out of the nervous pax mate :D

Rudder needed a tweak in settings as I couldnt keep it straight under full power on the ground.

Rotating beacon is a little weak when looking from the outside

Now Im looking forward to doing a mail run from "Tingers" (Tingwall). All we need now is a talented painter to paint Oscar Papa

G-BJOP at Foula  - Photo credit to 'Mike Charlton's Postcard site http://www.novembertango.co.uk/MC/index2.htm - WELL WORTH A LOOK !!

GBJOP.jpg

Edited by AlyMac
credit
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 11:08 AM, AlyMac said:

Hi Cameron,

What a difference a day makes ! This update of the Fmod has transformed the aeroplane - i dont use the headset however ;) Love those brake sounds and the islander really is that loud on the ground ! - but just to keep you working - you need to add  "tink - tink plink tink whack tink tink crack!" when you put the prop de-ice on in icing conditions as the ice shoots off the props scaring the sh1t out of the nervous pax mate :D

Rudder needed a tweak in settings as I couldnt keep it straight under full power on the ground.

Rotating beacon is a little weak when looking from the outside

Now Im looking forward to doing a mail run from "Tingers" (Tingwall). All we need now is a talented painter to paint Oscar Papa

G-BJOP at Foula  - Photo credit to 'Mike Charlton's Postcard site http://www.novembertango.co.uk/MC/index2.htm - WELL WORTH A LOOK !!

GBJOP.jpg

This thread is quite old, but I've started trying to make that livery -- do you have any photos of Oscar Papa that could be useful? Failing that, do you know what the name if the plane is (on the nose, "Capt. <something>, OBE")? :)