Frame Rates

I have done some testing in VR at Westray Airport 1200 UTC, Stormy conditions, default airport textures and ZL16 Ortho4XP.  My system is set to 45FPS ASW on.

Results:  Zibo 737 - Solid 45FPS             JF Piper Arrow III - Solid 45FPS      TS BN-2 Islander - 42-44 FPS

Now I use a tweak to the Setting.txt that increases all the cockpit shadow textures to 8192 to remove the horrible shadows you get in VR.  If I remove this and go back to default then I get 45FPS in the Islander.  

So this fixes my issue although I don't like the jagged cockpit shadows.  However, I still think there is an underlyng issue since I was getting lower FPS in the BN-2 than in the Zibo with high res cockpit shadows.  

Hopefully this will help fix a cure.  I also I note the glass instruments are very reflective.  I have disabled this in the in the Zibo but not the Arrow.  Could an option by added to the TS menu to disable instrument reflection to increase FPS?

Here is a link to the tweak to increase cockpit shadow resolution which seems to point to an issue with the BN-2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2YnqEt09k

2 hours ago, 4535jacks said:

I have done some testing in VR at Westray Airport 1200 UTC, Stormy conditions, default airport textures and ZL16 Ortho4XP.  My system is set to 45FPS ASW on.

Results:  Zibo 737 - Solid 45FPS             JF Piper Arrow III - Solid 45FPS      TS BN-2 Islander - 42-44 FPS

Now I use a tweak to the Setting.txt that increases all the cockpit shadow textures to 8192 to remove the horrible shadows you get in VR.  If I remove this and go back to default then I get 45FPS in the Islander.  

So this fixes my issue although I don't like the jagged cockpit shadows.  However, I still think there is an underlyng issue since I was getting lower FPS in the BN-2 than in the Zibo with high res cockpit shadows.  

Hopefully this will help fix a cure.  I also I note the glass instruments are very reflective.  I have disabled this in the in the Zibo but not the Arrow.  Could an option by added to the TS menu to disable instrument reflection to increase FPS?

Here is a link to the tweak to increase cockpit shadow resolution which seems to point to an issue with the BN-2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2YnqEt09k

We have quite a few optimizations of the interior mesh coming with the next update that should hopefully fix a lot of the performance issues. 

Yes, a glass-reflection-disable setting will be added to the menu with the next update.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, 0zz said:

I set it off with the data ref tool. Changing 'disable_shadow_prep' to 1 and 'use_cms' to 0

As an alternative, you can type the two lines below using notepad, save the text file with extension .lua and put it in Resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts folder.

set("sim/private/controls/caps/use_csm", 0)
set("sim/private/controls/perf/disable_shadow_prep", 1)

wow, I actually installed this correctly this time and it's totally working on my system. this view below used to destroy my GPU and knock my frames in half. now i'm a smooth 60 fps

frames.thumb.jpg.f0d5593fddfc027defa6fa837ddd42b3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Just installed and flown the latest version of the BN2- very, very pleased with it and (for my low end graphics card at least) the frame rates are really good now- inside and outside the aircraft.  Many thanks!

The Carb. heat gauges always read at the top of the range, well out of the green.  Is this my engine handling  or is there a trick I should be aware of...

All the best

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Hunnisett said:

The Carb. heat gauges always read at the top of the range, well out of the green.  Is this my engine handling  or is there a trick I should be aware of...

Carb gauges are wonky and Laminar is aware. Bug fix will come from them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steve Hunnisett said:

Hi.  Just installed and flown the latest version of the BN2- very, very pleased with it and (for my low end graphics card at least) the frame rates are really good now- inside and outside the aircraft.  Many thanks!

All the best

Perfect! We were able to go through and do a massive 3D mesh optimization, I am glad the performance issues are now resolved :) 

• Like 1